Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 lines on dash p2035, not starting

Is that measured from the gear position sensor (which as far as I can figure can only rotate through 360 degrees without ending up back at its start point) or from the gear selector motor (which I'm led to believe is also monitored for position)?

pinger , im having the same issue but im on smart forfour..
    but i think your theory regarding the degree of the potentiometer is certainly correct..
    tomorrow i will try to 'adjust' the sensor according to the 'N' specific value as the gearbox is now in N position..
    FYI, smart forfour using two shafts for gear position sensor..
    the N for 1st shaft is 42 degree and the other is 103 degree..
    what im having right now is 4322 degree, and definitely like your theory says it can started as the ECU might think the car is in gear..
    btw, i also need that pdf file..
    norfarhanabdulrashid@gmail.com

THANKS

ok... Good evolution today. Here it is "the technical bible for smart fortwo". It is in german but with google, very easy to translate!!

http://www.crawl-it.de/crawlit/regis..._userid=445757

Quote Originally Posted by jabran200 View Post

Answer to from my post... about setting up the gear motor

... If only one wheel moves with no resistance then you are in neutral. If both wheels move you are not, move it one notch up or down trying to stay as close to 900 as possible.

Merci for your answer Jabran,

It is really difficult for me to understand this part... you said "...move it one notch up or down..." TO MOVE WHAT ? ACTUATOR? cause there are no up or down possibilities... just front to back.
    Here we are in Romania, in the asshole of nowhere... I would like to be sure bout you words. I wouldn't get the car on my face with the mechanic, tomorrow...

About the wheels...the car is already moving free with the 4 wheels... Doesn't mean this is a neutral position?

Thanks a lot.

I still get emails about this so I will try and update.

So you have to take the gear selector motor off and I then used a long pick/hook to manually move the drum gear (inside the transmission) untill the values match the figures I mentioned in the original post.

It's all there how to fix it but you will need to do a relearn of the gear/clutch and it will start because what you have done (if you manag to follow my instructions) is moved the transmission into neutral gear where it wants to be.

Should I make a video? I have a gearbox on the floor so it will be a lot easier to visualise.