Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Fortwo HID Kits??

Smart Fortwo HID Kits??

Hello,
    recently got a new smart fortwo 451. The smart has got DRL (Day time running lights) and im sure i have read somewhere that you cant use a HID kit if you have DRL.
    If i can use HID's what ones shall i go for?
    And is there any fuses i have to upgrade to do so?

Thanks

I don't believe any company has made a HID replacement headlight unit for the 451. It's not legal to fit conversion kits in the UK.
    Last edited by MrPoo; 09-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

you can buy the kits on ebay they are illegal to retrofit if you dont have the right type of headlamp but theyre easy to do with a bit of patience
    Who says you need 200+BHP to have fun?

Member of the Mad Smartz Club

personally I would not bother with HID's, proper DRL LED's will turn off when the main lights are activated, unless like VAG or BMW etc which sometimes use the sidelights as permanent DRL then they stay on.

Get yourself some osram night breaker or Phillips blue vision they are much cheaper, legal and better than standard bulbs and of course the brabus style black headlights.
    I'm a big boy and I like my toys

I had HID's in my first 451 - they lasted hardly any time, the ride shook the bulbs apart.
    Tony

Living life with Pure Passion, always with my finger on the Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by adrimo View Post
    Get yourself some osram night breaker or Phillips blue vision they are much cheaper, legal and better than standard bulbs.
    I use Osram Night Breakers, but due to the fact we have to use headlights whenever the cars are running, they do only last about a year.
    Much better than std bulbs, but beware of buying on ebay.....many are old stock, there is a longer life version now (the ones that last me 12 months!!!!)

BTW, our version of "DRL" is that the side and headlights come on automatically after you exceed 3mph!
    You can turn the headlights OFF from the stalk (setting it to sidelights), but there is no way to turn all the lights off.
    (This was a problem using the Channel Tunnel, as they asked for all lights to be turned off.....for "safety" ?!?!?! )

On the 450 and the Roadster, it can be programmed to have these lights, and also the "come home" function, where the headlights come on for 30 (?) seconds after you lock the car.
    Last edited by Or_GazM; 09-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Okay some serious confusion here....

1. The difference between a standard halogen bulb and a HID Kit... A HID Kit is a "high intensity discharge" (shush Gaz) light system that uses a xenon style bulb system linked to a ballast. The Ballast converts the 12v input and produces a very bright light far superior to that of a standard halogen bulb whereas a halogen bulb is directly powered by the cars lighting system.

2. HID Kits / Bulbs require a specific enclosure in order to be effective - If you own a 450 Fortwo you cannot use an HID Kit in the main bulbs but can fit a kit to the fog lights. If you own a 451 you can fit them to the main bulbs but not to the fogs. The reasoning behind this is because unlike a Halogen Bulb the light charge from a HID bulb has a far greater spread, this means that in order to effectively use a HID Kit your vehicle needs to be fitted with "projectors". Projectors take the output of the HID light and focus them evenly to produce an even light effect, without a projector enclosure (like the 451 has standard) a HID bulb will blind on-coming traffic as well as produce poor lighting compared to Night Breakers or Vision Blue halogen bulbs.

3. DRL's do not use HID technology, they are a LED lighting system, you cannot retrofit HID Kits to DRL lighting systems, the voltage supplied and ampage is incorrect.

To conclude on the 451: You can fit a HID Kit to the Main Lights, just buy a standard H7 Kit and everything is plug and play. You cannot fit a HID Kit to the foglights as these have a Halogen enclosure. So my solution is to fit a HID Kit (7000k H7) to the Main Lights and then fit a set of Night Breakers into the Bright Bulbs and go with a set of Vision Blue's on the fogs. The lighting will be far superior, wont blind incoming traffic and wont require any effort other than unplugging the old stuff and plugging in the new.

Mike

Smart Fortwo 600cc - The Matte Black beast in the night!

Quote Originally Posted by Minimike20 View Post
    To conclude on the 451: You can fit a HID Kit to the Main Lights, just buy a standard H7 Kit and everything is plug and play. You cannot fit a HID Kit to the foglights as these have a Halogen enclosure. So my solution is to fit a HID Kit (7000k H7) to the Main Lights and then fit a set of Night Breakers into the Bright Bulbs and go with a set of Vision Blue's on the fogs. The lighting will be far superior, wont blind incoming traffic and wont require any effort other than unplugging the old stuff and plugging in the new.
    This is illegal in the UK.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse

So is committing suicide as well as leaving baggage un-attended - The legality of the kit in question on a 451 was not questioned but the method was so I provided an answer, what the OP does with that info be it within or against the laws of his fellow country are completely his problem.

That said should the OP take the risk the chances of being caught are slim because the Kit looks like a normal bulb, the ballasts are very easily hidden and the kit is fitted to a projector enclosure so will simply look like normal xenons. Even MOT's are no issues as he just unplugs the Kit and puts back the standard halogens.

Despite doing a lot of night time driving I refuse to fit a HID Kit to my 450 just for pure consideration for other drivers, but all my clients vehicles and my personal cars with factory projectors are fitted with HID Kits and have never had a single issue. The only reason I have not fitted a HID kit to my fogs (which are projectors on the 450) is because they will probably melt.

Smart Fortwo 600cc - The Matte Black beast in the night!

Just a reminder of the site rules:

The site, and it's functionality may not be used directly, Indirectly or as a platform for Illegal activities under UK Law.
    Selling and fitting HID kits in this country is illegal. I know you're trying to help, but it shouldn't be encouraged.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse