Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Smart Fortwo HID Kits??

???

i have a kit fitted and i did a guide for fitting

not sure what your point is....

i am also aware that i break the speed limit on occasions, but i also drive to the conditions and not necessarily to what the law allows (i.e. i do 20mph max in a residential area)

In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store - and THATs the law

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

My point is that your defence seems to be accusing others of breaking a completely different law.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

no - my counter argument is that people break the speed limit all the time but no one is chasing them down the road and screaming at them to slow down.

someone sees what they assume to be a front foglight switched on or some aftermarket HIDs (how someone can tell vs oem i will never know) and they retaliate with a counter shot of blinding light.

yes - there is a crazy law from the EU that says your headlight unit must be certified for any type of bulb placed in it and HIDs, LED 501s, 100W bulbs, PIAA race spec bulbs, undercar lighting etc etc etc all fall within that law but why is it HIDs get flagged up as the big bad wolf?

if someone had a spare HID kit to sell of HID bulbs or HID relay kit, would they not be allowed in the classifieds section?

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

"agree - the MOT does not look into the legalities of the equipment on your car, only the safe operation of it. Which surely is the key part of a car, and not a legality that has minimal basis for being in existence??"

This is where UK MOT and Norwegian EU Kontrol differ

When I changed my wheels from non OEM ones, I had to provide TUV paperwork to prove they were rated for the van.
    The wheels and tyres were bought in UK, "rated" for a T4 Transporter....but the tyres Load Index on my Vagonkart (logbook) stated 99Li, and the tyres were only 97Li...FAIL!
    4 tyres that had done 2500 miles had to be replaced.
    (There's vans driving in UK with 94Li tyres!!!!)

Same with the lowered suspension....had to TUV approved and paperworked...and then a computer printout to show that the geometry and brake balancing system had been correctly set.

My "book" now shows 3 sets of wheel/tyre combination that is allowed.
    Also states the van has been lowered by 40mm (and they took photo's too for the records).

Strangely, they don't give a d*mn that it's a 102bhp engine producing 145 ish....as the insurance covers from 88 to 150....(only varies by the number of seats, more than 7 and premium goes up..)

Insurance say "As long as it passes EU Kontrol, insurance is valid".
    EU Kontrol say "As long as your insurance covers you and you pass the emissions tests, it's OK"

Same for the lights...when I asked insurance about different lights (not HIDs, just fancy ones, that look good but work cr*p), they said no problem "As long as it passes EU Kontrol...BUT, you're only covered for 500 of added extras!"

[QUOTE=MrPoo;243351]Unfortunately, breaking the law usually has consequences for an innocent party, that's why laws are there.

In what way? If I have HID's and cause an accident I am the guilty party therefor I would be punished?
    Who says you need 200+BHP to have fun?

Member of the Mad Smartz Club

Could be that the accident you caused killed the innocent party.........

gaz - how do you get TU approval for something??

could you get TU approval for a HID kit if you wanted??

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Has to be provided by the manufacturers....I just had to produce the paperwork that they had got when they had the products tested.
    Luckily, the wheels were made in Germany where TUV is a requirement...same for the suspension kit.
    All I did was contact them and they e-mailed them.
    The paperwork for the wheels was about 40 pages!

So it's like CE approval?

Are many products TU approved?

If the hids were TU approved then you wouldn't have to prove that the lenses they were in were ok?

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk