Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Fortwo HID Kits??

And you are missing the point. The 451 has projectors, according to Mr Poo fitting a HID kit to those are illegal unless you change the headlight..... Uhmm change the headlight to what? Its already a projector headlight designed for the hid bulb type.

So how precisely does changing an already legal projector setup suddenly make it legal? What exactly make it legal and what are you changing it to?

There is nothing to change! I am not questioning the legality of HID Kits but rather poo's statement about how to make them legal, ie changing the headlight.
    Last edited by Minimike20; 10-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Smart Fortwo 600cc - The Matte Black beast in the night!

From what I have read I understand that if the hid kit is eu approved and the headlight unit is a hid unit eu approved then its ok and legal as they are both type approved.

If however the hid kit is eu approved and you fit into a unit that is not designed for the hids ie halogen or regular projector headlight units then its not legal.

As to whether the hid unit and projector unit are the same I have no idea.

Legality comes from whether both units are type approved and eu certified.

Eg if hids are a factory option and you get the unit then add a eu approved kit to a car that did not have them as standard then that would be legal.

But I think if its not an option oem then you need a type approved unit to make legal like hella/morrette kits etc

That's my understanding but I could be wrong.
    I'm a big boy and I like my toys

It's not illegal to sell them in the uk - fact

Under EU law, It is illegal to fit a bulb into a unit that has not been tested for that type of bulb - e.g. Led or hid or piaa or 55W extra bright

You can get the headlamp unit approved but it would be v expensive

If the light unit already takes hid bulbs then you could feasibly use a retro fit kit

A bodge to me states you butcher wiring and cobble together a solution. 99% of the kits are well made and meet all standards and use the same parts and bulbs of oem kits.

With an aftermarket kit and an oem kit you will hardly see any difference on projector lenses and not all oem fitments have headlamp washers or self levelling

I don't know why they are illegal - hids burn cooler and use less power and with projectors make the correct beam pattern

At 10m and beyond range, hids are proven to be better at lighting the road

I personally have no problems with them apart from if fitted in reflector units (and then you will get pulled and fail an mot)

Smart lighting across the range is diabolical

JJ
    Last edited by problemchild1976; 10-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Yes it is.

From the direct.gov website.

In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after
    market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID
    Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must
    purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps.
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-headlamps.pdf

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

One thing that no one has said it is a MoT fail with HID lights if they dont have an exterior wash system fitted to the light .

It's a VERY sensative area with some people!
    We've all seen the cowboys with HIDS fitted, and blinding oncoming drivers.

However, selling these kits is NOT illegal, only fitting and using them is!

I looked really deaply into the law on this when I had a CB shop before it became legal.

I could "sell" a working AM CB to anyone (as long as import duty had been paid, and that was a fiddle through Jersey where they never signed the Wireless Telegraphy act after the war!).
    The "fiddle" was, the crystal for it was removed (but enclosed), and a single wire was cut.
    That allowed it to be imported to UK as a "Radio Kit", and so import duty and VAT could be paid.
    Once in UK, I could "build" this kit and sell it to Joe Public.
    Joe Public could legally buy/own this, as long as he never switched it on....yeah!
    I could have on my shelves as many of these as I liked, as long as I never turned one on (as if!).
    All the bits that went with them....mikes, power supplies, antennae etc were totally legal...but no one would buy one unless they intended breaking the law!

BTW, it was because of this business back in the 80's, that I managed to retire at 50...hehe!

The law is an a$$...and until some "real" people start thinking about working out the rules, it always will be!

Then they should close all the companies down like hids4u etc

The dft's "view" does not constitute EU law unfortunately

It's only an mot fail if you have washers and they don't work

If you don't have washers then its fine (in the uk)

The reason they now fit wash systems is because the headlamp lenses do not get very hot and therefore don't bake the dirt off

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

"Not the 9 O'clock news" ( I think, but not accurate quote anyway).....

Officer; "M'Lord, I know the exact time of the accident as I looked at my digital watch!"
    Judge; " Ahhh....what exactly is a Digital Watch???"

"The reason they now fit wash systems is because the headlamp lenses do not get very hot and therefore don't bake the dirt off"

And then someone fits 100W bulbs on "normal" units and wonders why the plastic cover melts!
    Last edited by Or_GazM; 10-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.

But they don't get tarred with the same criminal tar brush as hids - even though the wiring is under stress and the heat in the unit is increased.

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

They just have headlamp covers that look like they've been tarred!

I managed to burn the paint off the casing of some Cibie spots a long time ago...when I fitted 150W bulbs in them!