Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New buyers of 451 Fortwo MHD - Important Information on belt failure

New buyers of 451 Fortwo MHD - Important Information on belt failure

For those who have, or are thinking of buying, a smart fortwo fitted with MHD*, please read this article

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=886

*MHD stands for Micro Hybrid Drive, which is smart speak for stop/start.
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

In between smarts at the moment. Had to get something sensible

- Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 HDi 110bhp

I have a 451 MHD and while I agree 100% that this is a design problem for Smart to sort out, lets face it if the coolant pumps stops turning on any I.C. engine and ignored the engine is going to be toast.
    So I will be checking the condition of the belt more often and listening for the warning alarm and watching the overheat and no-charge idiot lamps more frequently while driving.
    BTW
    I have a redundant time clock on the dash, has anyone converted this to an analogue or digital coolant temperature gauge.

I have just traded my 71bhp mhd back to MB after 2 months of having it. The main reason being all the hype about the poly vee belt breaking. I bought the smart (4 years old, 29000 miles) I had done 1000 miles in that time checking the poly vee belt every week.
    The week I had done the deal with MB and was waiting for my new smart 84 bhp (No mhd) I was driving home and heard a bang from the rear of the car. I managed to pull over and stop the engine in about 15 seconds, yes the vee belt had snapped it had also taken out the sensor so there was no warning on the dash board of an overheating problem???
    Breakdown picked me up about 1 hour later and took me home (Sunday) they then picked the smart up again on Monday morning and took it to MB. MB then phoned on the wednessday to tell me it was fixed (Yea Right) I told them to keep the car there as I was picking up the new smart at the end of the week.
    The mhd is a bad design and you are playing Russian Roulette while driving it. It might not be so bad if you have a MB warranty but what happens when it runs out and the belt breaks and fries your engine??

Quote Originally Posted by cabrio View Post
    The week I had done the deal with MB and was waiting for my new smart 84 bhp (No mhd)...
    Am I right in thinking that none of the 84bhp models have MHD?

Quote Originally Posted by chubbster View Post
    Am I right in thinking that none of the 84bhp models have MHD?
    Yep! Relaaaaax!!

Here is a picture of the 71bhp on the breakdown trailer after the poly vee belt snapped.
    You can also see the sensor wire hanging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I was driving along this morning and there was a soft pop followed by the orange ECO light flashing two or three times before going out, No other lights. About a minute later the over temperature light starts to flash. I pulled over imediately and stopped the engine. It's now with MB and I'm awaiting the news. I think I'm going to be looking for a new car very soon.

Grr.. this just annoys me!! Had one in for service yesterday, last 2 both done at MB who ignored their own advice & didn't change the belt last year (37,500 miles suggested, car was on 39000 ish..) this year it's eaten 1/5 of the width of the belt, alternator moving way too much and tensioner shot! Luckily for the customer we change belts every B-service and spotted it so yes it's a bill to rectify but not a cooked engine!

Kate

Unhappy

The car is booked in for it's 30,000 service in 10 days time.

Well the car was recovered to MB on Wednesday and was ready to collect 11.00am Thursday, so I can't complain about the service, speaking of which they also did the 30k service at the same time so I don't need to go in again at the end of next week. It was just a new rubber band luckily and just under 90 for supply and fit. I didn't think that was too bad for MB. At the time I also asked about this breakage being a bit of a problem and they said yes we change them pretty much at every other service. This lead me to mention the possibility of a modification, at which the service rep said "yours would have most likely been done by now", obviously not stopping the belts from going then. Is there a way that I can tell if it has been modified by a quick look under the car?