Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New buyers of 451 Fortwo MHD - Important Information on belt failure

They are on the 3rd version of the 'fix' so unless it's been done recently it won't be the most up to date one. Tensioners need attention too.

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-d View Post
    This lead me to mention the possibility of a modification, at which the service rep said "yours would have most likely been done by now", obviously not stopping the belts from going then. Is there a way that I can tell if it has been modified by a quick look under the car?
    Worrying that he didn't know/check!

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    Worrying that he didn't know/check!
    My immediate thought was that they had done it and weren't saying.

The other worrying thing is that I'm pretty sure the charge/battery light didn't come on when the belt snapped. I'd of headed for the verge far ealier if I had seen it.

Slightly a change of topic but is there a temperature meter option available that can be retro fitted.

The whole point is after decades of motor design, manufacturers still cannot get it right, and us motorists have to suffer if we buy badly designed engines. So its good that this sticky, makes wise to any prospective buyer of a Fortwo and picks the right one, ie, not MHD.

I think back to my Pinto engine on my Ford Capri, and every year it needed a new camshaft at a cost of 100 (a lot back then), as the crummy design had a small pipe on top with holes dripping oil to lubricate the cam, and if you did not change the engine oil every four months or less, it clogged up the holes in the pipe, resulting in overhead cam noise, ie, hence needing a new overhead cam.

A lucrative trade for Ford, for almost a decade.

As a recent owner of a mhd , before purchase I asked the smart man at the MB shop if it had been sorted ... "certainly" was the reply, so a large cheque later I was the proud owner of a 16k miles 11 plate carbrio. Smelled a bit of rubber in the engine bay and took it back, service department check and all declared OK, 2 weeks later belt goes bang taking everything with it. OK, MB guarantee and they fixed it quickly, however, they don't know why it happened and cannot guarantee no re occurrence. I need a chancy motor for SWMBO to trip up and down the motorway like the second proverbial hole where the sun don't shine! Trying to negotiate a swap for a reliable MB product!

You live and learn.

Problem is that in the final two years of the 451, Smart had been really pushing the MHD model (pardon the pun), even to the extent of it being cheaper new and secondhand than the rest of the 451 models out there, (Petrol turbo and Cdi).

When I was looking for a secondhand 451, a year and a half ago, there was a glut of MHD's available, but luckly having read on smart forums to avoid it, I went for the Cdi.

Now with the new 453 3rd gen coming in, all models will be start stop tech (OK, to a different design being Renault engines), but it seems car manufacturers have never learned that a lot of motorists do not want start stop, PERIOD, and yet again the ECO button default is start stop enabled, and to switch it off means pressing the button each journey. It should have been the other way round, ie, press ECO button to get start stop if you want it.

I personally hate start stop because of future possible wear on engine parts and wear on battery, due to all this start stopping. To me the cons outweigh the pros with this green technology.

Pros being minor fuel savings, if any.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 24-03-2015 at 12:06 AM.

The pro is improved air quality which anyone with asthma or breathing related difficulties will appreciate. NHS treatment for those with breathing difficulties is very costly and improving air quality helps with that. The MHD was an exception - stop-start technology has starter motors designed to cope and as the engine will only be restarting when warm no additional wear will occur. Soon enough, it will be the norm to restart the (petrol) engine without using the starter motor.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Soon enough, it will be the norm to restart the (petrol) engine without using the starter motor.
    How do you figure this? VW tried starting engines without a starter motor years ago and gave it up as a bad idea. you may well be right so I would love to read up on it if you are.

ECU memorises final crank position on shutdown, figures which piston is on expansion stroke and adds fuel (GDI) and spark and away it goes. If there's fuel there already (as in a K-Jetronic Mk1 Golf GTi) then spark alone will start it. (That GTi - we struggled to stop it starting the moment its ignition was enabled!) Not from cold I'd imagine but then start/stop is only enabled once engine is at operating temp.