Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Protection Detail on a Roadster

Winter Protection Detail on a Roadster

Hello all and welcome to another write up of mine

This was a winter protection of a roadster that I had been booked to do by a senior person at MB who despite getting a fresh merc every three months still bought this roadster out of his own pocket as he loved it soo much!

car on arrival

and some signs of very minimal protection, well that was all about to change

thankfully the wheels were supposed to be black, but not this grubby

and some typical grime and dirt bonding making cleaning at this time no fun!

starting with a quick clean of the roof in prep for sealing later

and then a thorough deep clean of both wheels and tyres in prep for sealing and dressing

….
    Last edited by Mark84; 12-12-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    For Detailing advice, or to see examples of my work please visit
    www.atten2detail.co.uk
    Essex Detailer | Essex Car Detailing
    www.facebook.com/Atten2Detail
    Don't forget to 'Like' the page

and then decontaminated from iron deposits which can corrode and damage the painted surface

removing any old dressings to ensure a clean surface for the new dressing

Once the wheels had been rinsed thoroughly it was onto the bodywork. This was first given a citrus pre-wash soak and then rinsed and snow foamed to best soften the dirt and grime providing the safest wash!

and then washed using 2BM with Gritguards and a Dooka Washpad (love these!!)

once re-rinsed, the decontamination started with tar removal and then further iron deposit removal

the remaining bonded contaminants were then removed via a mild clay bar

with the horizontal panels giving up quite a lot of contaminants!

www.atten2detail.co.uk

once re-rinsed, the paint was gently dried using an uber soft drying towel

the first job after 5 hours of cleaning (yes it takes 5 hours just to get everything clean on this relatively small car!) was removing roof bars and conditioning all the seals to re-moisturise and plump them

Once done, the roof area was masked and the surrounding panels covered to enable safe sealing of the roof fabric to aid water repellency and also easier cleaning

with a quick blast of heat to activate the sealant and aid curing

Once the roof was all done, it was time to seal the glass, ensuring rainwater runs off from low speeds, improving visibility in sudden downpour, and also inhibit ice formation in freezing conditions. The glass is first polished by machine to cleanse it before alcohol wiping to ensure a perfect surface for the sealant to cure.

and then after around 6.5hrs it was time to apply Nanolex Nanowax by machine. The mild abrasives gently clean the surface and remove oxidation while leaving Nanolex's Lotus flower protection behind, helping to protect and keep the paint cleaner for longer

Next up as the Brabus exhaust tips

and after the first cut with the second stage curing to add a little protection, helping them be easier to clean in future

www.atten2detail.co.uk

Once all was buffed, there was nothing else to do but stand back and admire!

I hope you enjoy the write up and pictures

www.atten2detail.co.uk

www.atten2detail.co.uk

And there you go, as always any comments or criticisms (thats you Gaz )are welcomed

Thanks

Mark
    www.atten2detail.co.uk

Very interesting. I have never seen the heat trick used before when doing the waterproofing stage. Is this useful with most waterproofing products or just the one you use?

I was also intrigued by the exhaust cleaning products, I had always used smokers tooth paste and an old electric tooth brush. Works a treat but you just can't get hold of smokers tooth paste these days. Well maybe you can, but not being a smoker it's not in every shop like it used to be so I haven't seen any in ages.
    Last edited by BRABUS; 13-12-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRABUS View Post
    Very interesting. I have never seen the heat trick used before when doing the waterproofing stage. Is this useful with most waterproofing products or just the one you use?
    Nanolex hood sealant does need heat to react, normally warm sunlight is fine, but as it was a cold day and I was in the shade I decided to give it a very brief warm up. This may help most hood sealants, don't forget the hood sealant needs to form a chemical bond to the fibres, a chemical reaction if you will, and as we all know from basic chemistry, reactions are sped up by the introduction of heat (upto a certain point). The trick is making sure you don't over heat the sealant as it will 'flash' or evaporate, reducing the contact time it has in its atomised state. I actually warmed the hood first (you could do this by sticking your heaters on for 10-20mins first) so I knew the roof wasn't cold and then another brief warm up after application.

Quote Originally Posted by BRABUS View Post
    I was also intrigued by the exhaust cleaning products, I had always used smokers tooth paste and an old electric tooth brush. Works a treat but you just can't get hold of smokers tooth paste these days. Well maybe you can, but not being a smoker it's not in every shop like it used to be so I haven't seen any in ages.
    That is I4Detailings Britemax metal twins. Unlike most metal paste polishes, these are a liquid. The first will cut and clean the surface, the second refining it, which if left to haze for 10 mins or so will leave some protection behind. I find my exhasut now cleans easy with just shampoo and my wheel mitt which is great, and I dont notice as much bonded crap anymore!

If the need arises to cut further I will use 0000wire wool with it first and then a microfibre with the first stage and then finish with the final step.

Hope that helps, but keep the questions coming if you have them
    www.atten2detail.co.uk

This just reminds me of Waynes World;

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE SCUM! WE SUCK!

Looks great Mark (said with green eyes!)

As you were expecting something from me Mark...here it is!

Our cars are well protected.....we have TWO buckets full of cleaning/polishing products....exactly as you supplied to us!!!!