Thread: Windscreen Clean

Windscreen Clean

Hello everyone

My windscreen is smeary, i have cleaned with meguiars glass cleaner, and have cleaned the bladed thoroughly

I was wondering if using bodywork clay on the screen to get any contaminaents off would be detrimental to the glass.

Your comments are welcome

Thanks

Yeah, no problem in that.
    '05 smart fortwo coupe passion cdi*
    *Gone and Missed

'12 smart fortwo cabrio pulse cdi

Newspaper works well maybe with some vinegar

Once clean, treat with some aquapel from smartmods. It's an excellent product and water just streams off the winscreen at speed without wipers or at low speed with wipers.

JJ
    Last edited by problemchild1976; 09-02-2014 at 12:46 AM.

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Do this every detail and totally recommended. Although unlikely to cause smearing, sounds like an oil of some sort. Try white wine vinegar on kitchen towel or newspaper on both the screen & blades. If still persistant, maybe time for new blades
    For Detailing advice, or to see examples of my work please visit
    www.atten2detail.co.uk
    Essex Detailer | Essex Car Detailing
    www.facebook.com/Atten2Detail
    Don't forget to 'Like' the page

I have brand new blades, I have tried everything from vinegar to potato skins, newspaper and all forms of expensive cloths and still the windscreen and windows are still dirty. The clay bar sounds like a good idea.
    I can't understand why anyone wants: A diesel car, a car with a roof or a sedan! Any car with a roof is a Toyota Prius regardless of how much it costs!

Ok to go a step further here, Clay is a mildly abrasive putty that will remove any bonded contaminants raised against the surface, but if there is a grease or oil film then it's not much help.

Prior to claying you need to break down any such oild and remove them from BOTH the screen and the wipers. Now it pains me to say it, but dish soap like fairy is good here. Dish soap does not care for the natural oils in your paint nor creating a highly lubricated solution which is why it is crap as a car shampoo, but here you don't care about that. You want something cheap and easy to get hold of that is designed to STRIP the surface squeeky clean, which is why dishsoap is perfect!

Give the windscreen a good clean with this to breakdown the oils and don't forget to wipe the wipers with it as well! Then take your clay and remove the remaining bonded contaminants with it! If you're going for gold finish up with a specific glass cleaner or polish to make sure the surface is really clean (DO NOT USE car bodywork polish, they are highly lubricated with oils!!).

this should solve your problem! Beyond this, you can move onto isopropyl-alchohol (which is what I use to prep glass before applying coatings), and beyond that its polishing with cerium oxide and a rayon pad (squeeky bum time this, the amount of heat needed can be scary)!!

Good luck
    For Detailing advice, or to see examples of my work please visit
    www.atten2detail.co.uk
    Essex Detailer | Essex Car Detailing
    www.facebook.com/Atten2Detail
    Don't forget to 'Like' the page

I would suggest a sponge dipped into water & fairy liquid. Squeeze most of it out and then wash the window with one hand. in the other hand have a karcher window vac ready. This will suck all the crap in the water right off the screen before it runs back over the glass contaminating it again. Smeary windows are history.

Oh and the karcher window vac is also good for using on the house windows a well.