Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MH370 flight path reconstruction based on Inmarsat pings?

MH370 flight path reconstruction based on Inmarsat pings?

Allegedly the Inmarsat 3F1 satellite which is geostationary over the Indian Ocean pinged the aircraft hourly 7 times before air craft finally disappeared.

Image is taken from Wikipedia, see article on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

The circle partly marked in red is based on 7th ping and identifies radius from satellite to aircraft.

It should be possible to reconstruct the flight path of the aircraft provided data from the 6 previous pings also is available.

One can start plotting from the last known position identified by radar. Then draw radius/ circle for 1st ping. Assuming aircraft travels at a set speed in a straight line one can then calculate distance travelled from last radar fix to 1st ping circle. There will be two possible positions on the 1st ping circle. This process is then repeated for 2nd, 3rd ... and finally 7th ping. One will end up with 128 flight paths but most can be ignored since air crafts do mainly travel in straight lines and not in zig zag.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by tolsen; 25-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

I think radar data (or lack of it) suggests the northern route can be discounted entirely.

Cheers!

People in the industry are not expecting to find this, that's all I am going to say about this sad situation.

My best guess is that it's parked up at a private airfield somewhere.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    My best guess is that it's parked up at a private airfield somewhere.
    That is the secret services worst nightmare, and the reason they are all out to find it, either in one piece or many.

At the moment they are looking for the debris in the sea off Australia (1500 miles from Perth), and so far USA, China and now France satallites have seen large floating debris, and the search is ongoing.

It could be just rubbish or it could be bits of the plane, but the world authorities want to know what happened, and so do we all, including the relatives of the plane.

I think that the interesting thing is that Rolls Royce monitor all running engines and it is said that this planes engines were running for several hours after it disappeared off the tracking systems.
    Surely this would give them, albeit a very large, doughnut shape within which to focus ie time engines were running x approximate speed/distance covered.

with the sad news from today, the debris were found in the Indian ocean that were related to the plane of the flat MH370..

Member of the Official "Mad Smartz Club"

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    I think that the interesting thing is that Rolls Royce monitor all running engines and it is said that this planes engines were running for several hours after it disappeared off the tracking systems.
    I couldn't possibly comment

I suspect we'll never know the truth. Frightening given the technology we have access to today.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - 600cc Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel

We have word today from Malaysia that they have definitely pinpointed the southern route as the way the plane went, and told the relatives that there was no where for it to land, so all onboard are assumed dead.

A bit premature I thought, until a piece of wreckage is identified as the plane, and we can then tell it has sunk to the bottom of the sea.