Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Vs. Diesel

Lightbulb Petrol Vs. Diesel

Hi,

Long time since I posted anything here, but looking for advice on a potential purchase...

I'm looking at two models, both 451's, but one is petrol and the other is diesel. I have a test drive booked tomorrow for the diesel, but does anyone have any experience of both?

I'll be doing lots of motorway miles soon, and I need great fuel economy. But theres only 10mpg difference (officially) between the two. And with diesel being more expensive than petrol. I'm not sure if the MPG balances out the fuel cost.

I have done my research and looked at 'real MPG' figures, and they say the Diesel does 67, and the Petrol will do 53.

So with that in mind per 10,000 miles: Real MPG - Official MPG
    A diesel will cost me 922.11 (@135.9/L) - Official: 726.84
    And a petrol will cost me 1114.22 (@129.9/L) - Official: 908.52

So over 10k miles, it could save me around 180 to go for the diesel. However, it will take me 3 - 4 months to do that many miles, and i'm not sure I would notice that amount of money over that period of time.
    And then theres the fun factor, will it be worth nearly 180 every 3 months if a diesel is louder, and less fun to drive than the petrol?

I'll know more about the diesel tomorrow, and I hope i'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you have any experience with the two engines or if you know which you'd choose if you spent so long in your car, what would you do?

Thanks in advance, Ash

Hi Ash
    We have had a Petrol MHD that broke big time. read: http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...light=blubelle
    I think the consensus is not to be recommended to the MHD(petrol)
    Myself and the wife (MEL) have both got the Cdi, and are doing 480miles a week.
    Thats on one tank of fuel, 42 max, motorway for myself and A road for the wife.

The Cdi is a cracking wee motor

David Spalton (OMA)

Actually, the stats are in my sig. best mpg I've had using the tracker is 75.9

Dave
    David Spalton (OMA)

You've not said which petrol variant but neither are economical and very rarely do people report getting the indicated mpg. If it's the MHD, run run run. The cdi will do what it says quite easily. If you're buying a smart for economy, don't even look at the petrols.

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

Quote Originally Posted by ashleythelion View Post
    I'll be doing lots of motorway miles soon, and I need great fuel economy.
    Get the diesel!!

Got my best MPG to-day (70+), mostly motorway with the odd A/C use, and I have the wider Pulse tyres.
    Haz a seedy eye!

Okay, thanks for the quick reply.
    It seems that the MHD is like a ticking time bomb then =/

I'll see what the diesel is like tomorrow, but i'll reset the clocks and see what I can do, I'm hoping for a good experience overall

Cheers

Reset the clocks?

Anastasia
    Mr Poo - Mk5 450 Pulse
    Honky - 451 Passion Diesel
    Nellie - 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

Quote Originally Posted by ashleythelion View Post
    It seems that the MHD is like a ticking time bomb then =/

That was our engine after 16,000 miles in about 6-7 months

Dave
    David Spalton (OMA)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoo View Post
    You've not said which petrol variant but neither are economical and very rarely do people report getting the indicated mpg. If it's the MHD, run run run. The cdi will do what it says quite easily. If you're buying a smart for economy, don't even look at the petrols.
    From my experience the CDI will NOT do what it says on the tin! I will get near but NO WHERE near the 84mpg published figures UNLESS it it driven like Mis Daisy (No offence if there is a Miss Daisy on the forum)

Best I have ever had is 69mpg and that was on a run back from Dorset some 300 miles and that was been as realistic as I could without having HGV's nursing my rear bumper.

If you are only getting 69mpg you need a BigPerformance remap !
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs