Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank case breather filter....

Crank case breather filter....

finalised my fitting.......

place the filter (ebay sub 5 delivered)

bung the crank breather pipe inlet with 20mm hose blank (forge sub 10) and hose clip

then i upgraded the vacuum pipework for a few pence

and all together....

total time - 10mins

benefits - no more crank case oil into the air intake and it looks quite nice

issues - doubt it will pass an mot as all vapour should be recirculated and not vented.

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Instead of the filter going directly on to the rocker box cover, put a short piece of pipe to a small oil catch tank, put the filter on an outlet from the catch tank and then it is acceptable.

John

Illegal mod I think. Reason: Crankcase gases and oil cannot be vented to atmosphere unless your car is really old (made before mid sixties).
    Suggest you ensure your ebay filter is not too firmly attached to rocker cover. This filter will soon be saturated in oil causing excessive crank case pressure.

Fitting an oil separator is better. The one I have on my Cdi is home made and separates out most oil droplets but can not handle oil vapour - a cooler is required for that.

Copper cyclone made from standard copper pipes and pipe fittings. Separated out oil is returned to sump via T added at bottom of dip stick tube. Oil vapour and crank case gases are piped to TIK inlet pipe just like original.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

I don't recommend keeping your breather filter there. At least run a pipe and locate it somewhere where the condensed burnt oil vapour won't drip onto a 500 degree manifold.
    It'll smoke a hell of a lot and it'll get into the cabin.

Tolsen - returning condensed burnt oil vapour back to the sump. I know there isn't much of it but I wouldn't like the idea of that.

Quote Originally Posted by evilution View Post
    Tolsen - returning condensed burnt oil vapour back to the sump. I know there isn't much of it but I wouldn't like the idea of that.
    I am not doing that at the moment. Only returning separated out oil droplets. Condensed oil vapour looks just like normal oil and I see no problem also returning that to the sump. The problem is cooling the oil vapour sufficiently to make it condense. All coolers I've tested so far are too large to fit the available space.

Cheers Kane - keeping an eye on it.

wasn't any contamination in the breather pipe when i removed it.

Tolsen - in my post i already point out that its a requirement to recirc vapours.

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Nice colours but why both blue and red? Difficulties deciding whether to vote Tory or Labour?

better for you........??

Step 1...Prep your engine cover !

The engine cover needs to be free of dirt and grease.
    Mine was new in a box so only needed a quick wash down with washing up liquid and
    warm water. If yours is coming from off the engine, you are going to put some
    considerable effort to get it clean.

Step 2...masking off !

Because the 'powered by BRABUS' slogan is only painted on, you need to mask it off.
    I used masking tape first (for its low levels of stickiness) then put standard sellotape on
    top (to avoid soak through of paint) use a scalpel or Stanley knife to trim it.

Step 3...primer !

I bought boring old grey plastic spray primer from Halfords for about 3.99 but
    depending on the top colour, you may want to use white primer.
    I hung the nice clean (and now dry) engine cover from the rafter in my garage for
    360 degree spraying. I gave it about 4 thin coats of primer and didn't sand down
    between each coat as the engine cover already has a mottled texture and I wanted
    to keep this effect.

HANDY HINT: I find warming a can of spray paint gives you a better covering so
    I left the can in a jug of warm (not hot) water for 5 mins before each coat !

Step 4...top coat !

I choose a nice blue Halfords spray - Fiat Capri Blue which wasn't a metallic, and it was
    the closest match I could find, but they have a huge selection. Again, it was only 3.99
    for the can. For the top coat, you need to do thinner coats and more of them.
    And again I didn't sand between.

Step 5...fitting !

The easiest part !! The engine cover is only attached onto 4 pegs by friction fittings.
    Pull the old one off and you'll see the engine and the pegs.

Disconnect the silly little pipe that seems to have zero function.
    Then fit the new cover and reconnect the pipe !!
    Et voila.....easy !!

JJ
    Last edited by problemchild1976; 05-06-2014 at 08:11 PM.

www.evilution.co.uk

You might want to test the lubricity of the condensed oil. I just can't see it being anywhere near the quality it needs to be.

weirdly - the car is pulling v well since doing this.

now its probably placebo but the wheels will spin up nicely in 2nd

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk