Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank case breather filter....

Quote Originally Posted by evilution View Post
    You might want to test the lubricity of the condensed oil. I just can't see it being anywhere near the quality it needs to be.
    I assume above advice is aimed at me. As already stated, my system does not condense oil vapours. The operating temperature of the cyclone separator is far too high to condense any appreciable amount of oil. Condensation of oil takes place all the time inside the engine, mainly within the baffle spaces of rocker cover and there is nothing that can be done with that. Return of condensed oil is undesirable as the blow-by gases are full of water and nasty substances. Water returned to sump is likely to form emulsions which could block the oil filter.
    Regardless of how effective the blow-by oil separator, over time, enough oil will pass through and coat the inlet duct and internals of inter cooler. This oil will mix with EGR soot and act as an insulator, reducing the cooling efficiency of inter cooler and gradually increase inlet duct flow losses.

PS. I see Caterpillar shares your concern and recommends oil samples every 100 running hours. Not so with original B&W, Landrover and Mann-Hummel Provent blow-by oil separators.
    Last edited by tolsen; 06-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

and after all that effort to please you tolsen you don't even acknowledge my efforts - its like being at work!!

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild1976 View Post
    and after all that effort to please you tolsen you don't even acknowledge my efforts - its like being at work!!

JJ
    Very impressive indeed but perhaps you just published archive photos? I'll believe you once the red thing at positive battery pole turns Tory blue.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Damn - busted

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases