Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Mark84 I have sinned

Dear Mark84 I have sinned

Dear Mark84 I have sinned.

Last year I was very ill and so my car cleaning routine was cancelled. Anyway to cut a long story short my Ford Racing Puma was green with algae/moss and not blue as it should be. Last weekend I washed most of the algae off using hot water and some autoglym shampoo. This is fine until you stroke your hand across the car and the paintwork feels like sandpaper.

I am after forgiveness for my sin and hopefully for some advice on how to fix it.

PLEASE

Short answer will be to clay it.

Likelyhood is nothing wrong with you cleaning off the algae, but the fact it was there suggests you was parked near a tree or alike and sap has been blown over the car! Either clay it or use a (citrus) tar n glue remover followed by a further wash/snowfoam.

A gentle claying followed by a paint cleaner and some wax should put all correct again

Course, if you're up to it, a quick polish before the paint cleaner will bring it up again.

Good luck
    For Detailing advice, or to see examples of my work please visit
    www.atten2detail.co.uk
    Essex Detailer | Essex Car Detailing
    www.facebook.com/Atten2Detail
    Don't forget to 'Like' the page

I clayed our Brabus earlier today, and used autoglym tar and glue remover to get the more baked on stuff off.

Although it gets a regular clean it's the first time i've clayed it and you can really tell the difference, very rough sounding to start with but like a glass bottle after!

Finished with a nice coat of wax, just in time for the weather to turn and start raining, but at least it's running off as soon as it lands on the shiny bodywork!

I'd recommend giving it a go.

I have autoglym tar remover but no citrus ones. Any brands that are good and easy to source. I have 3 autoglym clay kits reserved at Halfords (3 for 2 deal) so i will pick them up. Just need some guidance on the citrus tar remover now please.

Autoglym version should work, but if you wanted a citrus version instead of solvent based check out ValetPro's citrus tar n glue remover. I recently had a Porsche Carrera S covered in tree sap, rather than spend hours claying and potentialy inflict marring to the paint, 10 minutes with OCD-ni Tar remover and 90% was all removed with no more than a gentle wipe.

Here is the write up on the job http://www.atten2detail.co.uk/blog/2...ss-enhancement

Note it was an overcast day and the product therefore was not allowed to dry.

Citrus de-tarring products are gentler on plastic trim while OCD-Ni's tar remover is a gel. Other solvent produts tend to be a little aggressive and run off too quickly = less contact time and stain plastics!

Hope this helps

Mark
    www.atten2detail.co.uk

Moral is never park under trees when its producing sap

Moral is don't have a stroke and then you might be fit enough to Clean your own car

Anyway I have just been looking for this product via the OCd site and it lists a Uk supplier. The Uk supplier site doesn't work so please can you suggest anywhere else I can buy it from please

I buy directly from OCD-Ni, he is only in northern Ireland and post to the mainland for similar price to others actually in England.

While you're there, feel free to treat yourself to the rest of the products, they're all good and great value!
    www.atten2detail.co.uk

I have had a go with some Autoglym tar remover that I had in the garage, it did NOTHING . So is it citrus pre clean or the tar remover you are suggesting from OCD-NI? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BRABUS View Post
    I have had a go with some Autoglym tar remover that I had in the garage, it did NOTHING . So is it citrus pre clean or the tar remover you are suggesting from OCD-NI? Cheers
    If the Autoglym made 100% no difference, then try the claybar.

If it made some, but only a small difference, try the OCD-ni tar remover. Of course without seeing the contamination its hard to be sure (don't forget im assuming its a sap or alike). Allow it to dwell for circa 10 mins.

Ultimately the clay will deal with it, but you may be looking at a couple of hours work orrrrr 10mins of tar removal, 5 minutes wash down and 30 mins with the clay to pick up the left overs.

Course, if you fancy a trip to Essex
    www.atten2detail.co.uk