Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Launch control on smart car

The op is redlining his engine. What is the point in that? Increased pollution and accelerated engine wear. Rather unSmart in my humble opinion.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    The op is redlining his engine. What is the point in that? Increased pollution and accelerated engine wear. Rather unSmart in my humble opinion.
    Because it's fun maybe?
    Sensible mode deactivated, back in a Roadster

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperStevie View Post
    Its not an auto function and it's not kick down per say, it happens on cars without the auto mode. Thought all 700cc fortwos had it? It was standard on all roadsters
    You are spot on, but i guess not all cars got that function. I am trying to find how its called and what it is really???

Quote Originally Posted by macbut999 View Post
    There are 2 different versions of the accelerator pedal module,which both function differently. Part Nos:- Q0007749V006000000 & Q0012590V002000000
    The pedal does not make any difference. I had an old ecu and it had launch control, then fitted a pulse ecu and its wasnt there. Fitted the old one back, it was there. So it something to do with the software or ECU
    They say that Big car = Small penis.
    Well I've got a Smart car....

You ought to try harder. Max rev limit is set in map. Some will shift gears and some will not. Perhaps you need to keep engine revving for longer. I once tried it on my Cdi but did not have the guts to keep the revs high enough for a sufficiently long time.

Hmmm... So Tolsen what do you mean keep revving for longer? What it will do in that case?

Your Smart may change gears, from first to second then to third etcetera. I thought that is what yours is not doing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Your Smart may change gears, from first to second then to third etcetera. I thought that is what yours is not doing at the moment.
    Tolsen no no no.. my car changes gears just fine.

I have made my research and i have found out that this thing called "sport start"

Need to find of how to get it on the ecu..

What it is, is this "the first method":

Getting off quickly at the lights has never been easy or a particuarly fun process in the smart, however there are ways of speeding it up.
    (all of the methods listed below with of reduce the life of your clutch compared with normal driving)

Method 1. (Only 2003 onwards, with the factory sports start, auto models only)
    No technique involved here, just floor the throttle flat down to the floor until you feel some resistance then push a little harder so you feel the pedal 'click'. Sit back and let the car do the rest. The car will automatically change up a gear when you reach 6200rpm (as standard).

Method 2. (Only 2003 onwards, all fortwo's and roadster's)
    Blip the throttle very sharp a few times to build the revs (in gear, but without moving anywhere, this takes a lot of practice to keep the car stationary). Just as it touches under 3000rpm hit the throttle to the floor, the clutch will engage and give you a quick (but not over the top) start.

Method 3. (for all smarts of all years)
    Turn your ignition key to possition 2 and hold it, floor the throttle and let go of the key before it gets to 3000rpm (or the car won't go anywhere). This method can take quite a bit of practice to get right but once perfected gives a very fierce start.

http://www.fq101.co.uk/index.asp
    Last edited by Nickkimbel; 21-07-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Not all the smarts had it, the earlier smarts didnt have the kick down function, especially the ZEE based cars. It was something that was added later on post 2003 cars and most likely 2004 onwards cars when they added further options to the car. It is quite possible you may have a pre 2004 700cc ECU and that could be why you dont have the option for the kick down. Or it was only available on Passions and that would be part of the Passion map and not part of the Pulse map. I dont know what happened back then but as I had always believed it the Passion was the luxury model and the Pulse was the Sportier model, but that info is based on what I remember of the cars in 2001 and 2002. It depends if they kept with that dynamic or not if so I would have expected it to have been present on all pulse cars and not passions but by your info that doesnt seem to be the case.

See here - http://www.evilution.co.uk/info/guide_to_smart_mks.htm

There is no mention of the kick down on that list but having read a previous post about this on smartmaniacs it seems it was always a later added option, and especially on a passion. As it was possibly only fitted to the Brabus cars before that. What year is your car?
    Last edited by cougar7609; 21-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar7609 View Post
    Not all the smarts had it, the earlier smarts didnt have the kick down function, especially the ZEE based cars. It was something that was added later on post 2003 cars and most likely 2004 onwards cars when they added further options to the car. It is quite possible you may have a pre 2004 700cc ECU and that could be why you dont have the option for the kick down. Or it was only available on Passions and that would be part of the Passion map and not part of the Pulse map. I dont know what happened back then but as I had always believed it the Passion was the luxury model and the Pulse was the Sportier model, but that info is based on what I remember of the cars in 2001 and 2002. It depends if they kept with that dynamic or not if so I would have expected it to have been present on all pulse cars and not passions but by your info that doesnt seem to be the case.

See here - http://www.evilution.co.uk/info/guide_to_smart_mks.htm

There is no mention of the kick down on that list but having read a previous post about this on smartmaniacs it seems it was always a later added option, and especially on a passion. As it was possibly only fitted to the Brabus cars before that. What year is your car?
    That is it!!! Manyy thanks for that. Thats what ive been looking for

So what now then? How to fix this or what are the next thing that can be done abt this situation?

Aw my car is 2003 Passion coupe (The dates that you have listed do make sense now)

My 2002 Cabrio Cdi has the kick down function but not the extra kick down spring in pedal mechanism. I had the auto function added by the Smart dealer around 2007.