Thread: Fitting ABS/ reluctor rings the easy and proper way

Fitting ABS/ reluctor rings the easy and proper way

Knocking ABS rings on with a hammer and punch does the CV joints no good. Pressing them on is the way to do it:

ABS ring being pressed on using home made tool made from 3" OD pipe and 6 mm plate.

Pipe is top end cut off from a street lamp post, so it should be straightforward to source materials locally. Exact sizes are as follows: Pipe ID 70.8 mm. Pipe OD 76.9 mm. Pipe length 63 mm (minimum required length is approximately 55 mm). OD of plate is stepped to be guided and centred on pipe ID. Hole diameter for drive shaft bolt is 14 mm.

Above drive shaft is from 2002. Its original ABS ring had just started to cause the usual trouble.

There must be a provision for counter holding unless one can fit drive shaft in a vice.

Drive shaft won't spin around when counter held as shown. Drive shaft is prevented from spinning due to friction generated between drive shaft, ABS ring and tool.

No need for heat either so no damage to ABS ring protective plating.
    Last edited by tolsen; 25-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Nice one!

I just wish you'd done this 2 weeks ago and I'd have knocked up a copy of your jig on the ol' lathe to do the ones I was was fitting back then.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Knocking ABS rings on with a hammer and punch does the CV joints no good. Pressing them on is the way to do it:

ABS ring being pressed on using home made tool made from 3" OD pipe and 6 mm plate.

Pipe is top end cut off from a street lamp post, so it should be straightforward to source materials locally. Exact sizes are as follows: Pipe ID 70.8 mm. Pipe OD 76.9 mm. Pipe length 63 mm (minimum required length is approximately 55 mm). OD of plate is stepped to be guided and centred on ID pipe. Hole diameter for drive shaft bolt is 14 mm.

Above drive shaft is from 2002. Its original ABS ring had just started to cause the usual trouble.

There must be a provision for counter holding unless one can fit drive shaft in a vice. Drive shaft won't spin around when counter holding as shown. Drive shaft is prevented from spinning due to friction generated between drive shaft, ABS ring and tool.

No need for heat either so no damage to ABS ring protective plating.
    You have found another use for the good old Black & Decker work mate!

Great piece of advice thanks for sharing, I remember it taking me ages to fit the rings 5yrs ago, this idea would have saved a huge amount of time

another reason why smartmods abs rings are slightly larger so that they can be bonded into place and dont need clubbing to death
    --
    OTV
    Evil Webmaster

I just made it from the end of an old drive shaft. If you leave the gearbox end in place, the drive shaft won't spin so you just do up the bolt and it pulls it in place.

I have to say excellent bit of kit for the job, however prevention is better than cure, I was fortunate that when I purchased my low mileage 450 the reluctor rings were in excellent condition, that was 3-years ago and they are still the same every once in a while I spray them lightly with motorcycle chain lube and use a small brush to get in between the teeth, the grease solidifies after a short while, job done, SIMPLES.!!!

Tool may be hired for GBP 10 plus postage and GBP 20 reimbursable deposit. Weight packed is 700 grams. Postage cost about GBP 3.20 for 1st class mail each way hence total GBP 16.40. Hire cost is for 7 days. GBP 5 for each additional commenced week is deducted from reimbursable deposit.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG