Thread: Wishbone/ control arm/ trailing arm bush fitting tool

Wishbone/ control arm/ trailing arm bush fitting tool

Tool is made from suitable pieces of scrap exhaust pipes, 6 mm mild steel plate, a front bearing stretch bolt and an M12 x 1.5 nut to fit the stretch bolt.

Lucky I am in possession of a Lidl pipe cutter capable of cutting up to 55 mm diameter mild steel pipe. This pipe cutter was acquired for less than GBP 2.99 in a Lidl special buy:

Those without such a handy pipe cutter need to sweat over a blunt hack saw.

Above photo shows the finished tool.

Below photos show how it works.

Pulling existing bush off the wishbone. Often this job can be done quicker with a suitable punch and hammer.

Bush being fitted. Marine grease applied to bush to ease installation. Grease will also protect the uncoated steel in the interference fit area.

The bush has been pulled fully home.

Tool removed.

A note on wishbone bushes:

The best and cheapest bushes are sourced from our friendly Smart dealers. Cost about GBP 5 each. Remember to request a 10% discount for being a smart driver. The discount is usually granted.

Aftermarket bushes are poorly made and a lot dearer, often twice the dealer price. Rubber is poor quality and will soon come loose from steel. The original Smart bush has the interference fit diameter only where required, i.e. reduced diameter over half its length so much easier to fit. Aftermarket bushes have interference fit diameter over its complete length. Not very smart in my humble opinion.
    Smart part number A4503330014.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Nice looking tool you got there!
    Wish our local Lidl was as useful as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Tool is made from suitable pieces of scrap exhaust pipes, 6 mm mild steel plate, a front bearing stretch bolt and an M12 x 1.5 nut to fit the stretch bolt.

Lucky I am in possession of a Lidl pipe cutter capable of cutting up to 55 mm diameter mild steel pipe. This pipe cutter was acquired for less than GBP 2.99 in a Lidl special buy:

Those without such a handy pipe cutter need to sweat over a blunt hack saw.

Above photo shows the finished tool.

Below photos show how it works.

Pulling existing bush off the wishbone. Often this job can be done quicker with a suitable punch and hammer.

Bush being fitted. Marine grease applied to bush to ease installation. Grease will also protect the uncoated steel in the interference fit area.

The bush has been pulled fully home.

Tool removed.

A note on wishbone bushes:

The best and cheapest bushes are sourced from our friendly Smart dealers. Cost about GBP 5 each. Remember to request a 10% discount for being a smart driver. The discount is usually granted.

Aftermarket bushes are poorly made and a lot dearer, often twice the dealer price. Rubber is poor quality and will soon come loose from steel. The original Smart bush has the interference fit diameter only where required, i.e. reduced diameter over half its length so much easier to fit. Aftermarket bushes have interference fit diameter over its complete length. Not very smart in my humble opinion.
    Smart part number A4503330014.
    Are these special tools available to hire out???

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
    Special price to members only: GBP 10 per week plus reimbursable deposit and Royal Mail 1st class postage currently GBP 3.20 each way. Typical hire cost becomes thus GBP 16.40. No more any excuse to put off replacing your worn out wishbone bushes. Tool can be used for bush replacement in situ - not my preference but it is indeed possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
    20 for 4 bushes is certainly a lot cheaper than 2 new control arms!

Are the 450 & 451 bushes the same?

Yes, 60 for a brand new 450/452 wishbone. Of course aftermarket ones are cheaper but they upset wheel geometry so strongly not recommended.

Bush for 451 looks same but have different part number. Also, I am unsure whether lower ball joint is replaceable on a 451. No point renewing bushes if ball joint can't be renewed.

Lower ball joints for the 451 may not be available from the dealer but can be sourced elsewhere. Google TRW JBJ830. One will need a special tool or hydraulic press to renew this lower ball joint.