Thread: Cabrio Roof Sucking Clean

Cabrio Roof Sucking Clean

You may have read other threads on the forum when Mark84 and I have discussed the cleaning of cabrio roofs. I am personally a fan of the Autoglym Fabric Hood Cleaning Kit and have always had great results with it and think my cabrio roofs all look really clean.

A month or so ago I had a brain wave and went onto eBay and bought myself a Vax V123 with a stair cleaning hose and nozzle. This particular item has rotating brushes on the hand nozzle but you don't have to have these, a normal nozzle will do. Anyway as this was a brain wave moment I didn't want to spend a fortune so bagged this item for the massive price of 5.50 LOL.

To go with it I also purchased some scrubbing brushes from ASDA for another huge cost of 1.00 each. These are absolutely perfect with a great handle for holding it and also it is not to hard so it won't damage your roof. This is the link to the brush

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...d=D26M08G08C01

Anyway I followed the instructions on the Autoglym product as I usually do but this time after I had initially agitated the roof using the supplied sponge I also then used the scrubbing brush. Following a bit of sponge and brush work I grabbed the vax with great anticipation. Before I started to clean the roof this time it looked very clean and it was only really a clean and waterproofing exercise ready for winter so I wasn't expecting any difference.

Oh boy was I wrong. I used the spray function on the hand held nozzle (the vax only contained warm water - DO NOT use the normal carpet cleaning products in your machine) to get more liquid into the fabric to help clean the soap out initially before I gave it a good rinse as per the Autoglym instructions. The Vax sucked all the soap etc off the roof and when I looked at it in the collection tank it was green and nasty looking. I was stunned, my roof looked spotless before I did this.

It just goes to show that even though you may have cleaned your roof many times that there is still a nasty layer of green algae stuff in your roof fabric. I carried on and rinsed the roof and then waterproofed it once again as per the instructions.

I really can't recommend highly enough getting yourself a Vax or similar just for this purpose alone, my roof looks better than ever. Being a StarBlue edition the blue fabric now looks really blue. I immediately tried the same process on one of our other cabrios which also looked spotless and it had the same result, lots of green slimy looking water came out of the roof.

5.50 well spent on eBay I would say LOL. Now what are you waiting for, go and by yourself one and get cleaning.
    Last edited by BRABUS; 22-08-2015 at 09:27 PM.

That's pretty much how professional cabrio roof cleaners do it.

Does that make me a pro now then especially as we have 4 soft tops to clean LOL