Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayabusa Power Build Thread

Note the relocated radiator to the front of the crossmember, this was needed to get the coolant hoses and fan to fit a lot better. It only required modified mounts from the ones I created before.

The two tubes poking out are getting cut back and blanked off, they're serving as a good exhaust mount while test fitting currently .

Now for the mandatory crazy offset picture..

The back of the car is around an inch wider on both sides, I've ordered some temporary wheels with the correct offset and size which I'll test fit. This should show how much I need to extend the arches (if any) and will fit over the new rear brake setup .
    A few parts are on their way, I managed to destroy a driveshaft nut - I've got a feeling I was sold the wrong size so some replacements will be here in the next few days as well as other misc bolts, material, gaskets, parts and of course the wheels.

I now need to source somebody to create the custom front hubs for me, I've got designs and even the materials to get it done I just can't justify a lathe etc to do so myself.

More updates soon.

31-10-2014

Hello All,

Just an update before the weekend, the new/temp wheels arrived to see how the ride height looks, the brakes fit under these perfectly also.

I also adjust the coilovers for a better ride height.

I've been thinking a lot about the bottom suspension arms and I think I'm going to modify them and the drive shafts to bring everything in a bit, I'll probably do this after the car is more finished as its nice to have it off the stands. CNC suspension arms anyone?

The rear brakes fit under the wheels very nicely, definitely no need to go bigger for such a small and light car.

Cat is now fitted (removable of course ) with the rest of the exhaust pretty much done.

It wouldn't be an update unless I'd made something on the CNC machine, 1 or 2 brackets to hold the jack-shaft bearing steady.

Finally, I've started taking a part some of the dashboard for the new digi-dash setup that's been ordered.

(Continued due to 8 image limit)

Finally, I've started taking a part some of the dashboard for the new digi-dash setup that's been ordered.

(Note, i'll need all those RPM's )

More updates soon.

15-12-2014

Hello Everyone,

It's been a few weeks since the last update while I've waited for parts to arrive, over the weekend I had a fun (not so fun) time reinstalling the modified clutch. I've installed heavy duty springs due to the weight difference between the Hayabusa Bike and the Smart Fortwo car, this will prevent any slip when launching hard. To accompany the new springs I've fitted an adapter to remove the ramp system which should improve the clutch feel.

While I was working on the engine I decided to check the crank bolts were torqued correctly as the baffled sump and swinging pick-up was installed a while ago.

I then threw in some fresh plugs to finish off the engine ready for starting once in the car again.

It was then time to tidy up some welds on the subframe and add some extra strength near the mounting points.

I didn't get a chance to take any pictures but I purchased some Smart Car seats which went in perfectly, they are steel backed and not too close to the engine which is great in terms of heat.

Next on the list is to re-fit the clutch slave once I've shortened the offsets so the water pump has good access. The exhaust and chain can the be fitted so I can start making a chain tensioner.

More updates soon.

Wow this looks awesome
    I'm a big boy and I like my toys

This is a really interesting project. Are you on a budget as there seems no turning back? Also what is the state of the engine as I have`nt read any info on that?
    2013 Cabriolet Turbo Passion

Nice equipment you have fellow Essex owner..
    I have seen plenty of these bike engined smart builds over the years. 9 times out of 10 the finished car (or unfinishable car) ends up on eBay for 1 of 2 reasons.

The person has bitten off more than they can chew either technically or money wise.
    The car actually turns out to be an unnecessarily noisy, clutch eating, tyre shredding vehicle that's good for donuts and showing off but not great for putting the power down so not actually that quick. Therefore, not the "every day car" that they all seem to believe it was going to be.

As I said on smartmaniacs, a lovely project and I hope to see it around soon. I have some reservations about the strength of your rear subframe its triangulation and suspension mounting, but it's hard to make those calls from a couple of photos and no other info.

Good luck and Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cabrio View Post
    This is a really interesting project. Are you on a budget as there seems no turning back? Also what is the state of the engine as I have`nt read any info on that?
    There is no budget, the project will be continued until completed There is nothing wrong with applying a budget to a build but I find that there are compromises.

As for the engine, there has only been a mild amount of work on it as its a low mileage (under 3k miles) K7. Its 180HP engine with a low profile sump with swinging pickup and baffles, heavy duty clutch springs with an anti-ramp/chatter adapter to help smooth out the clutch.

As for anyone else wanting to do this, the biggest improvement I could see was renting somewhere to do the work as not only do you have peace and quiet but also plenty of space. You will need to someone to make you a rear sub-frame or you'll need the materials and a MIG/TIG welder to make one yourself.

Engine's etc can be picked up quite easily, make sure you have a record of where the engine came from as in the past some Hayabusa's have been stolen for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by evilution View Post
    Nice equipment you have fellow Essex owner..
    I have seen plenty of these bike engined smart builds over the years. 9 times out of 10 the finished car (or unfinishable car) ends up on eBay for 1 of 2 reasons.

The person has bitten off more than they can chew either technically or money wise.
    The car actually turns out to be an unnecessarily noisy, clutch eating, tyre shredding vehicle that's good for donuts and showing off but not great for putting the power down so not actually that quick. Therefore, not the "every day car" that they all seem to believe it was going to be.
    I can totally imagine, I've myself seen one of these completed on eBay and it never sold! After a short bit of searching I even found the build thread and he'd put some decent work in to it (be it using the original sub-frame). Then again I've seen a turbo'd Hayabusa powered Fortwo sell for 22k in piston heads, eek.

Z-Cars / Smartuki came up with quite a decent subframe, the only let down (like the original frame) is the suspension. It's useless at putting any power down and a few ideas from the Kit Car manufacturers will make a big difference, that's the reason for making my own fully independent suspension, everything is adjustable also