Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Hayabusa Power Build Thread

Hi Haya.
    Not seen any posts from you for a while and wondering how your project is progressing. Have you presented for MOT yet?
    Curious also about the electric reverse. Have you tried it yet? If you have, can you sort of guess at the speed (in mph) that it can move the car at?

Hi Pinger,

I gave up in the end and sold it.

Joking, i'm working on it regular - I've had to re-do some aspects of the build which I didn't want to bore everyone with - I'll send round a bigger update over this weekend. I have tried the reverse, it works exactly as expected, push the button and you reverse backwards. Speed is around walking pace if not a little slower as I've geared it down further, around 2-3mph.

I have a kill switch and a button near the gear lever, I might add a clutch switch also. Simply flip up the kill switch, press the button to engage reverse.
    Follow the Hayabusa powered Smart Fortwo build here

YouTube Video's Here

Thanks Haya.
    Doubt that you will be boring anyone. Improving engineering aspects is of interest to at least some of us. I'm curious as to what you thought was lacking and what has been done to improve/remedy. Good to hear you're still on the case.
    Before lowering the reverse gearing, did you try at higher gearing? If so, was there something untoward that prompted you to then lower the gearing? I'm thinking either too fast or that the motor lacked the torque - am I close?

The reverse motor was happy reversing the vehicle but I wanted something that could reverse small hills etc, hence why I geared it down.

YouTube Video's Here

Thanks Haya.
    Not idle questions BTW but helpful for the project I'm trying to piece together.

04/05/17

Hi All,

Pictures will need to wait for a later date as i've been so busy but i've listed below what i've been up to and why.

What's been happening

• Relocated fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator to under the car next to the fuel tank - the lines were sitting too close to the exhaust which was causing some concern
    • Gear shift linkage was a bit sloppy due to using e-clips as required on the linkage cable - this was replaced using colars which stiffened everything up
    • Accelerator pedal was sitting too close to the brake pedal which was awkward, shortened and move to the side
    • Replaced accelerator cable to a PTFE lined cable - very smooth operation
    • Reverse was earthing through the gear linkage cable due to the path of least resistance and killing the battery - installed a 240amp earth lead from the reverse motor straight to the battery - reverse is now very instant and I'll need to think of a soft start device in the future, even though its geared down quite a bit
    • Rear sprocket was causing issues with the chain jumping - this was due to an old 'test' chain which has been replaced with a 'drag' chain, noticably thicker and silky smooth
    • Oil leak found was caused by the oil pressure sender - PTFE tape has cured, my garage floor is definitely happier
    • Engine breather to air box is now in location so I don't need to worry about debris falling in to the engine
    • Re-routed coolant piping due to moving the fuel lines - replaced as many silicone hoses with aluminium connecting tubes to reduce movement as much as possible, still not perfect in my opinion but much better

What's left to do

Now the new chain is on I need to verify it's running true then finish welding on the mount, I also need to re-install the carpet, tidy some wiring and install the passenger seat. There is minimal left to do before an MOT due, i'm currently ringing round for insurance quotes.

There's going to definitely be a 'teething period' but will find out what that consists of as I start driving it.

Events

I'll we be attending the North Weald Test & Tune event on 4th June as well as both in July (see link below).

http://www.maitlandracing.com/north-...tune-calendar/

The project may not be finished by then but will be available to see on the drag strip for a shake down, i'll be recording video footage inside and outside the car.

More updates soon

YouTube Video's Here

Good progress there Haya. You're definitely a fair way beyond the point that most quit!

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Good progress there Haya. You're definitely a fair way beyond the point that most quit!
    It's quite nice to drive it out the garage and reverse it back in once finished, the little things

YouTube Video's Here