Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulbs in Smart Electric

Bulbs in Smart Electric

Hi all

Another quest of mine for the Smart ED I've just got.

Why does it have normal bulbs everywhere?... I guess commonality is the answer to that. So,

1) anyone tried LED headlight bulb replacements and what did you use
    2) interior light, anyone know of an LED replacement?

Going to beat my 81mile range record one day :-)

Regards
    Simon

Try paraffin lamps. Very reliable and gives off plenty of heat so good for winter.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Very good. Kinda goes against the whole electric car thing though. I've heard that depleted uranium can glow quite bright and uses no electric.

LED replacement headlight bulbs haven't come on enough to viable. The light you get from them in unacceptable for night use.
    If you want lower power but brighter headlight, get an HID kit. They aren't strictly road legal but in a projector, the glare will be minimal and the cut off line should be perfect.
    Interior lights can easily be changed with LEDs.

Yes, I fitted them to my motorbike, very clear, but still not what I would say was in keeping with the electric car. I've seen some straight replacement bulbs, but also lots of talk about the can bus system detecting a different resistance from the bulbs. If I find out I'll update. Or if anyone else does.

PS: (2x45w)x 3h=nearly 2% of battery. Then there's the full beam and rear lights...

COB LEDs are getting larger and increasingly brighter. I recently modified my push bike head lamp to COB. Now getting flashed to by cars.
    Wait a couple of years and you will get COB LEDs the size of pan cakes.

The smart doesn't have a CAN bus controlled headlight system.
    LED headlights will look lovely and white but won't throw half as much light.

Quote Originally Posted by evilution View Post
    LED headlights will look lovely and white but won't throw half as much light.
    Sadly that is true today but not in a few years. I have however already reached future LED light intensity with my modified push bike head lamp. Power source is a Shimano 6 V hub AC dynamo. AC converted to DC through a zero loss home made MOSFET SMC bridge rectifier. 300 lumen light output provided by a 3 Watt super bright COB LED. Existing 2.4 Watt light bulb provided a very good 35 lumen light output but significantly less than the new COB LED especially at low push bike speed.
    Must admit I nearly gave up on this project. Initially I used a standard bridge rectifier but never achieved the promised light output due to the forward voltage losses in the silicon bridge rectifier. Got it sorted when using N & P channel MOSFETS connected in a bridge configuration.

That's interesting, I was in china once (often travel due to work) and bought a box of pre-wired LED lights that are used as daytime running lights. I made a set of lights for my bike (i';m a keen cyclist as well), So I made a twin headlight at the front and a lense single at the back. They are powered by a single 9v battery, intention was to kickstart it as a useful light system that uses current batteries purchased anywhere. didnt kick start it, seems everyone has invented different lights and the market is satuated. I did however, fit two pairs to my motorbike as daytime runners and they are good, very good actually. Also, my garden has many fitted now and looks great ( all from an 80w solar panel) anyway, without going off topic, they are 12v lights and very bright but not good enough for headlights.
    I'm sure it'll get there, electric cars will help drive this. 2% battery save is significant enough.
    Interesting that a can bus is not an issue in smart, I might buy some and give it a trial. Any suggestions

In case anyone wants to know, I replaced the 10w interior light with this...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BY6TA2...051_TE_3p_dp_2

It's 1.5w. Power was not the main reason to change this, I found the standard bulb way too bright and this one gives a nice comfortable glow.
    :-)

I've kinda given up on the headlight bulb replacement, it seems the only one out there that is suitable draws 20w, that would not seem like a worth while investment as the bulbs are 80 a pair. Although I read the light is much better, that was not my initial investigation. It's all about the power! :-)
    Now to go out jogging....must lose 4kg in the next 3 weeks!