Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs soaked with oil, high compression, piston rings bad?

Spark plugs soaked with oil, high compression, piston rings bad?

Hello,

My friend left me a 2005 Smart Roadster (95000km) that has an engine failure. During normal driving he suddenly lost some engine power and looking back he saw plenty of smoke. No abnormal noises however. He stopped driving and the car was towed to my place. Oil was a bit over minimum. Cold compression test resulted 17.5, 15.8 and 17 bars. Reason is that all cylinders seem to be full of oil. All plugs were very oily, rightmost plug was soaked with oil. Engine starts and idles fine but it smokes a lot.

I think it is pretty safe to say that piston rings are bad and the best option is to drop the engine and open it up, would you agree? I only wonder why every cylinder has the same issue (oil), did it overheat at some point and ruined all rings?

Before I open it up, any ideas to further diagnose this are much appreciated,
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make sure turbo has not failed as this can result in oil being introduced into the engine.

Could I detach turbo from the intake side and replace it temporarily with another air filter, just to see if turbo is throwing oil to intake and in the same time see if smoking stops. I've not played with turbocharged engines before but I'm reasonably capable on wrenching.

Looks more like a blown head gasket to me.
    2001 Jaguar XKR 100
    2003 Roadster Coupe Bluewave Brabus SB2
    2002 Ex Fortwo Pulse

Smart,Mercedes & Jaguar Diagnostics

Thanks for the responses. Will keep updating with pics as I have more time to tear it down.

One more pic of the throttle body which is soaked with oil.

ThrottleBody_oil_dripping.jpg

Also noticed that turbo's wastegate actuator shaft is dripping oil. Going to start it tomorrow without turbo with temporary air filter and also see what is coming out from turbo.

Wastegate_Actuator.jpg
    2005 Smart Roadster, 2004 Porsche Carrera 4, 2009 Toyota Sienna

Turbo oil feed pipe looks rusty and could have pin holes. That would explain the oil around turbo but not excess oil in cylinders.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Domiac View Post
    Also noticed that turbo's wastegate actuator shaft is dripping oil. Going to start it tomorrow without turbo with temporary air filter and also see what is coming out from turbo.

Wastegate_Actuator.jpg
    Is there play at the compressor impellor? Any movement and you can pretty much assume turbo is goosed.

Thanks Kapt. Q, pinger and tolsen for the comments. I bypassed the turbo and added a temporary air filter to the engine, also added a straight pipe out from the turbo. Car continued to smoke the same as previous test run, idled good and absolutely no oil was coming out from the turbo even with higher RPMs. No cigar regarding turbo issues.

Put car to proper jack stands with additional security measures and got quite close on dropping the engine, perhaps tomorrow I can finish it. I could not see any visible metal particles in oil filter or in the pan, oil was pitch black but looked good, smelled of gasoline though. Have to say it was no fun separating the pan from the bottom half, my 911's pan was easy peasy compared to this Smart, obviously Finland vs California weather makes a big difference too.

At this point it would look like macbut999 is on to something, we'll see soon enough :-)

Once again, thanks for the responses. Will keep updating this thread once I have time to continue.

Smart_Roadster-turbo.jpg

Smart_Roadster-oil_pan_removed.jpg
    Last edited by Domiac; 13-04-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    2005 Smart Roadster, 2004 Porsche Carrera 4, 2009 Toyota Sienna

There must be some play in turbo charger bearings to make room lube oil.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG