Thread: Fumes in the cabin

Fumes in the cabin

Hi, i just wondered if anyone else has ever had this problem, since the car was serviced a few months back, whenever my 451 CDI is driven on a faster road, there is a toxic smell inside the cabin.

Could this be from the turbo? Could they have disturbed something when doing the service? Or are the two things just a coincident?

The smell is never noticeable when driving around town or in say 40mph zones, it only seems to happen when on a motorway going above 50mph.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by daveandchrisuk View Post
    Hi, i just wondered if anyone else has ever had this problem, since the car was serviced a few months back, whenever my 451 CDI is driven on a faster road, there is a toxic smell inside the cabin.

Could this be from the turbo? Could they have disturbed something when doing the service? Or are the two things just a coincident?

The smell is never noticeable when driving around town or in say 40mph zones, it only seems to happen when on a motorway going above 50mph.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
    Check your engine lid is fitted correctly and tightened down (under the carpet at the back,)
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks for your reply, i've checked it again and it seems to be ok, tightly held against the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by daveandchrisuk View Post
    Thanks for your reply, i've checked it again and it seems to be ok, tightly held against the rim.
    I've had it come back from a MD service before now not screwed down!, but more importantly you need to check it's tucked under both front lugs.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

This is the first time i've used this non-smart garage, as the independent local one stopped doing smarts, but my partner has used them for years and they have always MOT'd mine.
    Just wondered if they could have knocked something during the oil change.

What normally happens, especially on the diesel, is that some oil misses the opening and runs down the engine. Go and look at the stupid size opening where the oil goes in.

As you drive, the faster you go, the lower the pressure is behind the car. You have a higher pressure inside the cabin so air can be drawn in through poor seals around the back window into the cabin.
    It's made worse if you have a brabus (or similar) exhaust as it emits straight into the low pressure area.