Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connect smart ED with PowerLine

Connect smart ED with PowerLine

Hi, Has anyone managed to connect up a smart ED to the internet using a domestic Powerline Ethernet adaptor? I've followed the instructions in the handbook with two different TP-Link devices (a TL-WPA271 and a TL-PA211) and just can't get it to pair.
    The instructions say; on the Charge Current menu, set it to 8Amps, then 12Amps, then 8Amps, then 12Amps and then press the pair button on the Powerline adaptor. The Powerline adaptor pairing light flashes but then times out. If you try it using the TP-Link software then you see a 'Connect error!' message

Who would want to connect their car to the internet - hacker are already able to control, wipers, brakes, engine etc on some vehicles via the internet.

Glad mine is only cleaver enough to have issue with a ZEE and an ECU!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post
    Who would want to connect their car to the internet - hacker are already able to control, wipers, brakes, engine etc on some vehicles via the internet.

Glad mine is only cleaver enough to have issue with a ZEE and an ECU!

John
    I asked a straightforward question about a technical topic. Yet I get a spurious reply that does not help at all. Not what I was hoping for.

But just to make it clear to Luddites why I want the internet connection; if my car is connected then I can program it to charge on cheap rate electricity. This helps save energy and reduces global CO2 emissions as it helps make our existing power stations more efficient. Also the cabin is warm and the windscreen defrosted ready for me to drive off in the morning, without having to burn polluting petrol or diesel or use de-icing spray from an environmentally unfriendly aerosol.

Oh, and by the way, the demonstrations of hacking into a Jeep were done in ideal laboratory conditions. Nobody has yet demonstrated that they are able to take control of somebody else's vehicle on the open road.

Quote Originally Posted by RatleyRambler View Post
    Oh, and by the way, the demonstrations of hacking into a Jeep were done in ideal laboratory conditions. Nobody has yet demonstrated that they are able to take control of somebody else's vehicle on the open road.
    Big bro is here now.......Police can take charge of 2015 range of Vauxhall / if ONSTAR is fitted (now an option for 2015). They can remotely switch your engine off via sat link.

Conditions are: Car has to be reported stolen. Vauxhall have to give code to Police. Car engine cannot be shut down, till it is stationary and off, so will not restart. Do not want the theifs to get hurt, do we

LINK....
    https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/security.html
    Last edited by colin2x2; 14-11-2015 at 04:38 AM.

I like the idea of the car being warm & defrosted on a winters morning. Sounds pure luxury to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RatleyRambler View Post
    I asked a straightforward question about a technical topic. Yet I get a spurious reply that does not help at all. Not what I was hoping for.
    He was just being curious .....

if my car is connected then I can program it to charge on cheap rate electricity.
    Do you already have an off peak ability in your house supply meter ?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Yes we have an 'Economy 7' tariff. This gives us 7 hours a night at a much cheaper rate - but I forget exactly what it is! For us it starts at about 12:30am.

Unhappy

I think I have found out what is causing the lack of connection. It seems that the Powerline Ethernet does not like going down the armoured cable to my charging point, which is about 12-15m from the house. If I connect using a short extension cable directly into the house, then it works OK. But that means that I can't use my 6kW charger

[QUOTE=reinaldo_is_spam;262640]He was just being curious .....

Perhaps I was a little harsh. But it is frustrating when you are looking for a solution and you get answers that do not contribute to solving the problem.