Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Connect smart ED with PowerLine

Quote Originally Posted by RatleyRambler View Post
    I think I have found out what is causing the lack of connection. It seems that the Powerline Ethernet does not like going down the armoured cable to my charging point, which is about 12-15m from the house. If I connect using a short extension cable directly into the house, then it works OK. But that means that I can't use my 6kW charger
    That's easily solved, just move the house closer to the car

Maybe try a heavier cable? , is your existing cable at least 25A capacity, also make sure it's fully uncoiled
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

The armoured cable is 4 x 4mm copper cores with a steel wires outside forming a screening sheath. It's permanently installed, it runs straight from the house underground to the charging post. I do not believe it is to do with the current carrying capability of the cable, or the current actually going down the cable. The car is now fully charged and it still doesn't appear in my network. I tried a Powerline receiver attached at the post and that didn't work either. I have another armoured cable in the garden with a mains socket at the end. The Powerline receiver didn't work there either.
    I suspect that the Powerline signal is expecting twin and earth cable. This is relatively low capacitance compared to the armoured cable with the overall screen connected to ground. I'm trying to do some research to find out about it. But no luck so far.

The armoured cable is 4 x 4mm copper cores with a steel wires outside forming a screening sheath. It's permanently installed, it runs straight from the house underground to the charging post. I do not believe it is to do with the current carrying capability of the cable, or the current actually going down the cable. The car is now fully charged and it still doesn't appear in my network. I tried a Powerline receiver attached at the post and that didn't work either. I have another armoured cable in the garden with a mains socket at the end. The Powerline receiver didn't work there either.
    I suspect that the Powerline signal is expecting twin and earth cable. This is relatively low capacitance compared to the armoured cable with the overall screen connected to ground. I'm trying to do some research to find out about it. But no luck so far.
    So is the outer the only conductor connected to ground? , so the four internals could be connected 2 to live and 2 to neutral seeing as it's single phase.
    Is that how it's wired do you know?

I've got an easier suggestion, get the charging post rewired to the timeswitch circuit for econ7 (there is a separate circuit for this presumably for storage heaters etc?) , plug the car in when you want in the evening and charging will take place when the econ7 timeswitch kicks in

Maybe have it wired so you can choose to overrude from daytime supply too when you need it?
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    So is the outer the only conductor connected to ground? , so the four internals could be connected 2 to live and 2 to neutral seeing as it's single phase.
    Is that how it's wired do you know?

I've got an easier suggestion, get the charging post rewired to the timeswitch circuit for econ7 (there is a separate circuit for this presumably for storage heaters etc?) , plug the car in when you want in the evening and charging will take place when the econ7 timeswitch kicks in

Maybe have it wired so you can choose to overrude from daytime supply too when you need it?
    Two of the cores and the screen are earthed. The installers were very pleased with the resultant earth loop impedance. Seriously, there is no problem with power loss down the cable.

I do already have a time switch on the system and a manual override for daytime top ups. But that does not allow me to look out of the window in the morning, see the snow or ice and use the App to turn on the cabin heater! Which is why I want a reliable Ethernet connection to the car!

A 6kW charger and 4 core armoured power cable means you have a three phase system. The single phase at charger end is just by chance on a different phase than your domestic single phase supply. The cure is to move live supply to single phase at charger end to one of the other two phase wires one at the time until it works.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    A 6kW charger and 4 core armoured power cable means you have a three phase system.
    Nope, Sorry but I have to disagree. 4 core armoured cable just means that was what they had on the van when they did the original installation! The house has a single phase overhead supply. You can see the two wires coming from a nearby pole. Inside the house there is a single company fuse and a single phase meter. I've checked and the armoured cable is definitely wired using one core for live, one for neutral and the remaining two as earth.

I have a 3 core 2.5 mm2 armoured cable going to my shed, 25 metres long. Now typing this post from my shed being connected to the internet and this forum via a powerline adapter.

OK. That is really useful information. Can you tell me what type it is? The ones I've been trying to use are a TP-Link TL-WPA271 and TL-PA211 pair that came as a boxed set. These use the 200Mbps standard. The research I've been doing suggests that this only uses the live and neutral wires. The newer 500Mbps standard apparently uses live, neutral AND earth, so it may be more tolerant to higher capacitance cables.

I use the cheapest I can get so TP-Link TL-PA211.

Oh, and by the way, the demonstrations of hacking into a Jeep were done in ideal laboratory conditions. Nobody has yet demonstrated that they are able to take control of somebody else's vehicle on the open road.
    Cool story bro.
    https://youtu.be/MK0SrxBC1xs?t=37s