Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Connect smart ED with PowerLine

Problem solved. The ring main sockets are all on one fuse box. The car is on another, so there are two RCCBs in the way.

I added a single 13Amp socket at the house end, plugged in another PowerLine adapter and ran a CAT5e cable to it from the router.

Works fine now

JFYINFO there have been many hacks on vehicles, But we just don't hear about them (THERES A REASON FOR THAT ), trust me , internet option on a car is fine, but not to connect to its can or orgate systems

Hmm. I had heard of a couple of cases where researchers had managed to hack into a Jeep Cherokee (I think) and taken over the brakes. But I thought they said that it was unlikely to happen in the real world because of the detailed, specific connections needed.

Do you think this might be related to the troubles I'm having in my other thread http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.p...when-it-isn-t?

Do you have to rent the batteries on these??

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild1976 View Post
    Do you have to rent the batteries on these??

JJ
    Hi,
    At the time I got this car there were several options; Buy the whole lot outright, lease the whole lot, buy the car and lease the battery.

I went down the route of buying the car and taking out a 10 year lease on the battery. The battery lease is transferable to another owner, so is effectively a 10 year extended warrantee on the battery. So far (fingers crossed) I have had no problems with the battery. Shock absorbers and wiring harnesses yes, but not the battery!

I don't know what deals are being offered on the latest 2017 smart EDs.

was just wondering about buying 2nd hand

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Running costs are lower, service is lower, road tax = 0. Driving them is great fun.

I've had mine for 3.5 years now. Bent a wheel in a pot hole, wore out the rear shocks (not an EV specific problem), worn out a set of tyres (too many fast corners in country lanes) and just had a wiring problem (again not an EV specific problem). But i just love driving it. Its like a go-kart but without all that noise. And about 4-5p/mile if you can charge on Economy 7.

Mine has the high power 22kW charger that gives you a full re-charge in about 40 minutes at a motorway service station. But that is rare, mine may be the only one in the UK. They mostly have a 6-7kW charger that takes commensurately longer - about 4 hours for a complete charge. But if you are doing less than 60 miles/day and charging over night then that's just not a problem.