Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine to fit 450 city car

Thumbs up Engine to fit 450 city car

Unfortunately my 1999 LHD for two threw a rod on cyl no 1 last weekend.

I had just finished all the major jobs to get it sorted out, after buying it as a project after being sat for 3+ years in a garage.

So basically, I am after an engine to fit it. I do know my exhaust manifold has a small crack on the waste gate, so ideally could do with that too. My gearbox and all ancillaries are fine.

It appears that some of the 700cc roadster engines may fit, so would consider anything like that.

Would also consider a motor which needs a rebuild, that I can sort before it is fitted.

Of course there is a catch, I am in the Isle of Man, but would arrange collection, or come over and get it if neccessary.

Cheers

It all depends on you budget really. You can get cheap blocks and get then rebuild or not. Or stick a roady engine for a bit of money. Your call

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkimbel View Post
    It all depends on you budget really. You can get cheap blocks and get then rebuild or not. Or stick a roady engine for a bit of money. Your call
    Hi. Thanks for the reply, I have seen engines on EBay for 3-400 and there is a roadster motor for 700 but it is complete with gearbox etc, which I don't need. So basically the budget can be stretched if necessary. In some ways I'm not sure about eBay and who would be genuine. I'm happy to go to traders if anyone can recommend someone.

A block pistons and crank would be fine, but until I strip my motor I really don't know what the piston has done to the head, strangely the crank looks ok! So far.

Honestly Kessa, call any of the Smart indies who have done this a thousand times. A roady engine won't work on your gearbox. It will physically fit but electronically, they aren't compatible out of the box.
    Smart car lover.

When my engine went pop I had a choice. Rebuild or replace.

I chose to replace with a complete roadster engine minus the gearbox.

I fitted the roadster engine to my 599cc gearbox and it works perfectly no issues at all
    I'm a big boy and I like my toys

Guys, I am leaning towards a roadie engine, and I am intending on keeping my original gearbox, as it was fine.

I did read on FQ101 one of the guys fitted a roadie engine to a 450 same as mine, and there were small differences which will change over from the original motor, but that's all it took, Adrimo, what turbo did you use, the 450 or the Roadster?

Perks, is there something I'm missing about the conversion......

I wanted to fit a fortwo box to my roadster for the longer gearing. It worked up until 3rd and then spat its toys out. No amount of coding, teaching, calibrating or messing around could get the final three cogs to come in.

Maybe the 600 box is less of an issue.
    Smart car lover.

Ah right ok, cheers.

I have the choice of a bare roadie 2004 motor, just under 400 delivered, or a complete motor/gearbox turbo etc. 7-800 delivered. Just got to decide which turbo would be better, and make sure I am not short any bits with the bare motor, using mine as the donor for the turbo etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
    Ah right ok, cheers.

I have the choice of a bare roadie 2004 motor, just under 400 delivered, or a complete motor/gearbox turbo etc. 7-800 delivered. Just got to decide which turbo would be better, and make sure I am not short any bits with the bare motor, using mine as the donor for the turbo etc....

Recon' Brabus Roadster. All day.
    Smart car lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Kessa View Post
    Guys, I am leaning towards a roadie engine, and I am intending on keeping my original gearbox, as it was fine.

I did read on FQ101 one of the guys fitted a roadie engine to a 450 same as mine, and there were small differences which will change over from the original motor, but that's all it took, Adrimo, what turbo did you use, the 450 or the Roadster?

Perks, is there something I'm missing about the conversion......
    I used roadie turbo, I got complete engine with everything attached, just minus the gearbox.

If you use roadie engine with your 600cc u must also fit your 600cc engine loom to the roadie engine.

Imo get the whole engine
    Last edited by adrimo; 02-12-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    I'm a big boy and I like my toys