i'm sure other people like it too but are shy

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

i'm sure other people like it too but are shy
    I am sure too

Day 11
    After running the WirralSmarts event today, I took a brave pill and decided to crack on with the steering wheel change. The results are mixed so far.

Before starting (remembering to disconnect the battery first), I decided to check out the underside of the car. I've seen it before but I wanted to get some photographs of how it is under there. The exhaust looks decidely second hand though I think it is mostly surface rust. The pipes looks OK I think but it may want to all be changed anyway as I think these are the original exhaust parts...

Also examined the oil leak from the engine. I think, given the photo and where the leak is, it might be either a oil pressure sensor or a oil level sensor. From the image, I think a seal has perished so I am not too worried about it at the moment though it is something else to do on the engine.

After waiting 15 minutes, I removed the steering wheel. This is possibly the scariest thing I have ever done in a Smart to date. With a bit of effort to get the wheel off the splines, I got the steering wheel off relatively easily, making a lot of mess in the process. ;D

However, I can't put the new one on the car as there is an extra wire for the controls on the steering wheel and I cannot see where it plugs into. I get the sinking feeling that this would involve some more wiring...

So at the moment, my car is going nowhere.

keep up the great work mate

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Day 12
    A small update, I've put the original steering wheel back together and reattached it back onto the car. I ordered a new slip ring to fit the MF wheel onto but it turns out that A454 545 03 26 is for the non-MF wheels whereas A454 545 02 26 is the correct part so I've ordered the wrong part.

That being said, I've managed to impress myself by not setting off the airbag in my steering wheel as is. :P Also changed my pod rings for a set of gloss black ones I had from a damaged set of pods so at least my interior now looks a bit more co-ordinated. Now just need to reassemble the centre console after getting something to fit into the video fakra connection port in the COMAND unit.

Day 13
    Today was the day I felt brave enough to tackle the steering wheel. So I whipped off the old steering wheel (after disconnecting the battery and waiting of course) and put on the new SRS clock spring, The instructions are pretty clear on it but I think I fouled that up (more on that later).

Anyway, with the steering wheel on the car, it looks the business. I don't mind the 3 spoke wheel but this one just looks more in keeping I think (might be biased, I had one in Melanie, my last 454).

For those interested, the 5 pin connection for the buttons on the steering wheel are on the bottom but you do need to clip it in first and feed through the horn and airbag wires before putting the wheel onto the column.

With that done and the nut fastened down, I reconnected the horn and airbag, screwed the airbag down, said the Lord Prayer and then reconnected the battery. With that, success! I didn't set off the airbag and the car burst into life when asked. You'll also note that I managed to get myself yet another twin display speedometer but this one was from a petrol automatic rather than a diesel manual so the gear display is back along with the rev counter showing the correct range. It is slightly different to the mk1's speed calibration (this one reads 10, 30, 50, 70 etc whereas as the mk1 goes 20, 40, 60, 80 so forth) but I think it should be OK.

The buttons on the steering wheel work out of the box. Really pleased that they work but the paddles do not (I know that this hasn't been successfully done yet) and when you move off, the ESP warning light comes on. I think, being the rather impulsive soul, that I might not have calibrated the SRS clock ring correctly but I guess a trip to a STAR machine is in order anyway.

Still mighty pleased this is done!

I also picked up a RCA to Fakra connection for the COMAND unit just to fill the gap until I know what to put in it. Once it arrives and is fitted, I can finally put the centre console back together (in time for Gaydon I hope)!

Good work

JJ

www.evilution.co.uk

Many thanks, I'll be glad when all the interior stuff is done for the time being. I've still got the armrest and telephony stuff to install as my last major thing but I might hold off on that until Beaulieu (think I need one or two more bits for the phone anyway). Going to concentrate on the exterior stuff after Gaydon - should be a good laugh.

Hey Everyone!

A small update today. Gaydon was wonderful as always but I felt that the 454 was a bit... underwhelming at the event (maybe it was just me not sticking around the car, I was very busy getting photos).

One of the issues that the 454 has had is the loose negative battery terminal which wasn't too bad but the wire must be damaged internally as every so often, when you come to start the car, the whole electrical system would just shut down which could be fixed with a wiggle of the battery lead. Not good.

After several bouts of moaning (I had to park about way up the street to do this and having to trot up and down the street 5 times to get the right tools), I've got the new earth leads in with a fetching shade of red on them.

They are not ideal mind as they are long and will need to cable tie the engine earth to the loom to stop it hitting the drive belt but it looks good, certainly better than the crusty leads before hand.

Next port of call is the wheels and then the major exterior work. I like the wheels on there now but they are not fitting in the planned style I have for after the car is painted and besides, I have some eyes on some Cruiselines which will look awesome when done, perhaps paint them a similar shade of grey to the frame and maybe paint the callipers yellow.

I also got hold of some leather paint to recondition the steering wheel with. That will be worked on this weekend hopefully.

Seeya all on the net!

Nice work! I'm using two of these earth straps currently, the engine in the project i'm working on is susceptible to a bad earth. You'll find them on ebay quite cheap, I have one on the battery and another on the engine.

s-l500.jpg
    Follow the Hayabusa powered Smart Fortwo build here

YouTube Video's Here

Thanks! I went for the coloured ones just to add a bit more visual punch - yours will pretty much speak for itself I need to print up a set of label tags fort the battery lead and the battery to show that it is the negative terminal.