Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70

    Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

    Hello all,

    Currently my CDI (10Plate) doesn't feel very smooth at all. I feel every bump in the road.

    Currently I am using:

    Front - 155/60/R15
    Rear - 175/55/R15

    When I search for new tyres I also see compatible:

    Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15

    Is this correct?

    Any suggestions on which tyre size would fit correctly and provide a thick enough sidewall to make the ride more comfortable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sitting on the sofa ??
    Posts
    49
    As my husband would say if you wanted a smooth ride you shouldn't have bought a Smart car
    NoHairClaire.x
    'WhaT doesn't Kill you maKes you strAnger'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHairClaire View Post
    As my husband would say if you wanted a smooth ride you shouldn't have bought a Smart car
    Haha, but a smart car has many other benefits.

    I'm sure with the right size tyres it wouldn't be so bad.

    Even if I just go for the other recommended size - just wanted to confirm this were definitly ok to use?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    Currently I am using:
    Front - 155/60/R15
    Rear - 175/55/R15
    When I search for new tyres I also see compatible:
    Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15
    Any suggestions on which tyre size would fit correctly and provide a thick enough sidewall to make the ride more comfortable?
    The 2nd figure (55 and 50) means a narrower sidewall on the compatible's in comparison to the current tyres.... so you're making the ride (ever so slightly) harder with the compatible's. (The lower the 2nd figure, the narrower the sidewall, so the harder the ride.)

    Currently my CDI (10Plate) doesn't feel very smooth at all. I feel every bump in the road.
    As Claire says , if you wanted a smooth ride , the smart isn't one of them...

    You may want to try slightly lower tyre pressures, what are you running with at the moment re pressures ?
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 19-02-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Lower not slower
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    BANCHORY
    Posts
    3,301
    Always wear kidney belt when riding a Smart car!
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    The 2nd figure (55 and 50) means a narrower sidewall on the compatible's in comparison to the current tyres.... so you're making the ride (ever so slightly) harder with the compatible's. (The lower the 2nd figure, the narrower the sidewall, so the harder the ride.)



    As Claire says , if you wanted a smooth ride , the smart isn't one of them...

    You may want to try slightly lower tyre pressures, what are you running with at the moment re pressures ?
    Not entirely accurate, the second figure is the percentage of the 1st figure which gives you the side wall size. So these tyres would have a slightly thicker sidewall.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    Not entirely accurate, the second figure is the percentage of the 1st figure which gives you the side wall size. So these tyres would have a slightly thicker sidewall.
    You're right of course, I should have qualified my example with tyres of equal width....

    In this particular case the sidewall height is a full 1.25mm taller on the rears (not exactly 'thicker' walls though in tge strictest sense of the word, but deeper sidewalls, i.e. More black showing on a side view ) and a whole 3.25mm taller on the fronts
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ecosse
    Posts
    3,604
    Irrespective of the semantics, changing to the suggested sizes will improve comfort not one jot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Irrespective of the semantics, changing to the suggested sizes will improve comfort not one jot.
    Yes, this
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    You're right of course, I should have qualified my example with tyres of equal width....

    In this particular case the sidewall height is a full 1.25mm taller on the rears (not exactly 'thicker' walls though in tge strictest sense of the word, but deeper sidewalls, i.e. More black showing on a side view ) and a whole 3.25mm taller on the fronts
    Exactly! This is my point, there is not much difference at all, so I was hoping someone could tell me if there is another compatible set which allows for a 'deeper' sidewall?

    Does anyone know the maximum?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •