Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

Hello all,

Currently my CDI (10Plate) doesn't feel very smooth at all. I feel every bump in the road.

Currently I am using:

Front - 155/60/R15
    Rear - 175/55/R15

When I search for new tyres I also see compatible:

Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15

Is this correct?

Any suggestions on which tyre size would fit correctly and provide a thick enough sidewall to make the ride more comfortable?

As my husband would say if you wanted a smooth ride you shouldn't have bought a Smart car
    NoHairClaire.x
    'WhaT doesn't Kill you maKes you strAnger'

Quote Originally Posted by NoHairClaire View Post
    As my husband would say if you wanted a smooth ride you shouldn't have bought a Smart car
    Haha, but a smart car has many other benefits.

I'm sure with the right size tyres it wouldn't be so bad.

Even if I just go for the other recommended size - just wanted to confirm this were definitly ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    Currently I am using:
    Front - 155/60/R15
    Rear - 175/55/R15
    When I search for new tyres I also see compatible:
    Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15
    Any suggestions on which tyre size would fit correctly and provide a thick enough sidewall to make the ride more comfortable?
    The 2nd figure (55 and 50) means a narrower sidewall on the compatible's in comparison to the current tyres.... so you're making the ride (ever so slightly) harder with the compatible's. (The lower the 2nd figure, the narrower the sidewall, so the harder the ride.)

Currently my CDI (10Plate) doesn't feel very smooth at all. I feel every bump in the road.
    As Claire says , if you wanted a smooth ride , the smart isn't one of them...

You may want to try slightly lower tyre pressures, what are you running with at the moment re pressures ?
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 19-02-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Lower not slower
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Always wear kidney belt when riding a Smart car!
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    The 2nd figure (55 and 50) means a narrower sidewall on the compatible's in comparison to the current tyres.... so you're making the ride (ever so slightly) harder with the compatible's. (The lower the 2nd figure, the narrower the sidewall, so the harder the ride.)

As Claire says , if you wanted a smooth ride , the smart isn't one of them...

You may want to try slightly lower tyre pressures, what are you running with at the moment re pressures ?
    Not entirely accurate, the second figure is the percentage of the 1st figure which gives you the side wall size. So these tyres would have a slightly thicker sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    Not entirely accurate, the second figure is the percentage of the 1st figure which gives you the side wall size. So these tyres would have a slightly thicker sidewall.
    You're right of course, I should have qualified my example with tyres of equal width....

In this particular case the sidewall height is a full 1.25mm taller on the rears (not exactly 'thicker' walls though in tge strictest sense of the word, but deeper sidewalls, i.e. More black showing on a side view ) and a whole 3.25mm taller on the fronts

Irrespective of the semantics, changing to the suggested sizes will improve comfort not one jot.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Irrespective of the semantics, changing to the suggested sizes will improve comfort not one jot.
    Yes, this

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    You're right of course, I should have qualified my example with tyres of equal width....

In this particular case the sidewall height is a full 1.25mm taller on the rears (not exactly 'thicker' walls though in tge strictest sense of the word, but deeper sidewalls, i.e. More black showing on a side view ) and a whole 3.25mm taller on the fronts
    Exactly! This is my point, there is not much difference at all, so I was hoping someone could tell me if there is another compatible set which allows for a 'deeper' sidewall?

Does anyone know the maximum?