Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_the_One View Post
    Exactly! This is my point, there is not much difference at all, so I was hoping someone could tell me if there is another compatible set which allows for a 'deeper' sidewall?

Does anyone know the maximum?
    You'll start to wallow going too far lol, although wonder whether you should try the new smart's sizes ?, that's not as harsh as the 450 or 451 smarts.
    Not sure anyone's tried them on a 450/451 yet though ?.....

New smart standard sizes:
    165/65/15 on front (1710mm up to 1796mm rolling circ change from standard 155's= ~5%)
    185/60/15 on the rears (1729mm up to 1816mm rolling circ change from standard 175's =~5%)

But they did change the springs/dampers and travel too.
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 20-02-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Think you would have to change the springs/suspension to a softer ride, but then the car having a short wheelbase would just bounce off the road and end up in the ditch, so from a safety point of view, you are stuck with hard suspension

So like the rest of us, try to keep an eye out for potholes and avoid at all costs, as it is jarring to back and posterior.

By the way the new 453 Fortwo which I have test driven is just slightly better, but not by much. Short wheel base dictates hard suspension, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    You'll start to wallow going too far lol, although wonder whether you should try the new smart's sizes ?, that's not as harsh as the 450 or 451 smarts.
    Not sure anyone's tried them on a 450/451 yet though ?.....

New smart standard sizes:
    165/65/15 on front (1710mm up to 1796mm rolling circ change from standard 155's= ~5%)
    185/60/15 on the rears (1729mm up to 1816mm rolling circ change from standard 175's =~5%)

But they did change the springs/dampers and travel too.
    Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Think you would have to change the springs/suspension to a softer ride, but then the car having a short wheelbase would just bounce off the road and end up in the ditch, so from a safety point of view, you are stuck with hard suspension

So like the rest of us, try to keep an eye out for potholes and avoid at all costs, as it is jarring to back and posterior.

By the way the new 453 Fortwo which I have test driven is just slightly better, but not by much. Short wheel base dictates hard suspension, unfortunately.
    Thanks,

So does that mean the new tyre sizes won't work with the existing suspension? or wheel base?

Can some one explain what wheel base means? I'm not familiar with it

Thanks,

So does that mean the new tyre sizes won't work with the existing suspension? or wheel base?

Can some one explain what wheel base means? I'm not familiar with it
    The wheelbase is just the distance between front and rear wheel centres , he was generally the smart is considered an extremely short (the shortest) wheel base regardless of the actual model, if it was a longer wheelbase the suspension would have a better chance of bump navigation lol
    Think about as the front wheels of the car hits a bump in the road, the whole car is effectively hinged from the rear wheels (and vice versa when the bump hits the rear wheels)
    Last edited by reinaldo_is_spam; 24-02-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post
    The wheelbase is just the distance between front and rear wheel centres , he was generally the smart is considered an extremely short (the shortest) wheel base regardless of the actual model, if it was a longer wheelbase the suspension would have a better chance of bump navigation lol
    Think about as the front wheels of the car hits a bump in the road, the whole car is effectively hinged from the rear wheels (and vice versa when the bump hits the rear wheels)
    Thanks, so the new tyre sizes should be ok then, as the wheel base doesn't look like it's changed much.

My concern is that the wheel arches are big enough? Also, will they be ok with the existing (hard) suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Short wheel base dictates hard suspension, unfortunately.
    Factually wrong.

The high build stance and the required roll resistance dictates that the suspension be hard. The wheel base could be lengthened infinitely and still the same roll stiffness would be required. The short wheelbase merely ensures that it every bump is more keenly felt by the car's occupants.

The arches are always well proportioned..

Just google tyre bible and put your existing tyres into the tyre size calculator on there and your proposed new ones and it'll tell you the actual differences in sizes

Thanks, so the new tyre sizes should be ok then, as the wheel base doesn't look like it's changed much.

My concern is that the wheel arches are big enough? Also, will they be ok with the existing (hard) suspension?
    If by 'new tyre sizes' you mean the:
    Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15
    you mentioned in your first post, then yes, they will fit. Having used those sizes on my 450 I can tell you the comfort level will not improve. The grip level will though, which is reason enough (for me) to make the change.
    Any deviation from recommended (inc specified tolerance) sizes on a fortwo will introduce other problems (electronic calibrations) and larger deeper sidewalls could only be achieved by downsizing the rim diameter - which would then foul the brake caliper and leave the car handling as soup on a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    If by 'new tyre sizes' you mean the:
    Front - 175/55/R15
    Rear - 195/50/R15
    you mentioned in your first post, then yes, they will fit. Having used those sizes on my 450 I can tell you the comfort level will not improve. The grip level will though, which is reason enough (for me) to make the change.
    Any deviation from recommended (inc specified tolerance) sizes on a fortwo will introduce other problems (electronic calibrations) and larger deeper sidewalls could only be achieved by downsizing the rim diameter - which would then foul the brake caliper and leave the car handling as soup on a fork.

By new tyre sizes I meant:
    165/65/15 - Front
    185/60/15 - Rear

These are on the new smart, would they be ok?

You'll have to calculate the rolling radius or diameter (or crib from Tyre Bible) and compare any difference to what is permitted.
    There is only so much latitude as the smart reads wheel speed for all sorts of functions (speedo is but one) and the various comuters on the car need to be kept happy. There is latitude to allow for tyre wear but it is limited. Get it wrong and you will have spent a lot and gained nothing.