Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    This thread is all to do with ride quality and comfort, not width of tyres.
    I was asking for the width of the alloy, not the tyre.

As some others have mentioned here about not using certain tyre widths on a rim of 4.5" I thought I would check what width the rear alloy is as well and use tyre bible to see what is appropriate or not.

It has everything to do with ride and comfort, because different tyre sizes on different sizes alloys can change a lot.

Appologise for bringing up an old post as I didn't want to start a new one.

My 2010 cdi Passion front tyres were changed also from stock (155 60 15 to 165 60 15) however looking at the car today side on, the rear seems lower and much smaller to me ( 175 55 15). Could any here advise on which size rear would compliment the front as I need to replace them due to low treads. They are on standard Rims for rear for the passion. Not too good on tyres , apart from it must have above 1.6mm treads.

Thanks in advance.

The depth of the sidewall is the relevant figure here. Obtain it by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio eg 165 x 0.6. Thus you can compare any tyre with another and match as closely as possible. Double the figure and add the wheel diameter (15 x 25.4mm) if you want the diameter but the sidewall figure is sufficient as that is the variable.
    As closely matched as possible keeps the ECU controlling ABS, ESP, etc happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    The depth of the sidewall is the relevant figure here. Obtain it by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio eg 165 x 0.6. Thus you can compare any tyre with another and match as closely as possible. Double the figure and add the wheel diameter (15 x 25.4mm) if you want the diameter but the sidewall figure is sufficient as that is the variable.
    As closely matched as possible keeps the ECU controlling ABS, ESP, etc happy.
    Thanks, my work colleague has suggested 185 55 15 for the rear on the current rims (5.5). Is this possible ? I just want to get the height in proportion to the new tyres at the front and not to worry about the warning lights flashing etc.

165/60 = 99mm (front fitment)
    175/55 = 96.25mm (current rear fitment)
    185/55 = 101.75mm (proposed rear fitment)

Seems the 185/55 is closer to the front fitment than the current tyre. Can't see any reason not to use it (5.5'' rim will easily accept 185). Be prepared to disconnect battery to re-boot ECU to new size.

I'd go with the 185/55's
    Have you looked at https://www.carbibles.com/tire-size-calculator/ It's quite interesting.

195/50 at 97.5mm viable also.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    165/60 = 99mm (front fitment)
    175/55 = 96.25mm (current rear fitment)
    185/55 = 101.75mm (proposed rear fitment)

Seems the 185/55 is closer to the front fitment than the current tyre. Can't see any reason not to use it (5.5'' rim will easily accept 185). Be prepared to disconnect battery to re-boot ECU to new size.
    Didn't think about disconnecting the battery. Thanks .

So my set up will be 165 60 15 front and 185 55 15 rear. Hopefully this will give me Great ride, much smoother than with the original tires & easier ride on rough roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I'd go with the 185/55's
    Have you looked at https://www.carbibles.com/tire-size-calculator/ It's quite interesting.
    Thanks Mr T I hope my selection for my rear tire turns out to be a good choice.

I run 195/50/15 all round on my 450 cab. I had 40 profile on front but too bang crash for my liking. Running 195 on front meant that the front tires rubbed the body work in certain lock positions. Straight on they were ok. The use of spacers under certain body clips at the front cured the issue. The fronts are still close but not rubbing. Much better ride, all four tires are the same size and I can make best use of deals with these size tires. I tend to run on budget tires even though the car is tuned. Only down side is the front is touchy in icy conditions. But then with a slight slope on the drive it wont get out of the drive anyway when it is icy. In dry and wet conditions have not noticed any difference and I don't drive round corners slowly. When it had the original front tires on the cornering was lousy.
    only Smartees know the answer