Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Sizes for Better Ride

I have always had the factory fitted tyres on my Fortwos 450 and 451, but the only problem was with my 450 Pure which had steel wheels as standard.

Steel wheels are hopeless as the car jumps everywhere, and 'too's and froes' when stoping, enough to make you sick. Alloy wheels damp the car better.

My solution with the 450 pure, was to buy a set of secondhand Smart alloy's on Ebay complete with rubber, and swap them onto my 450, and it was far superior. I kept one of the steel fronts as a spare in the boot and sold the rest back on Ebay.

Moral is never buy a steel wheeled Fortwo, even if it is cheap.

PS...Steel wheels might be good as winter tyres, but I would never use them again.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 15-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    I have always had the factory fitted tyres on my Fortwos 450 and 451, but the only problem was with my 450 Pure which had steel wheels as standard.

Steel wheels are hopeless as the car jumps everywhere, and 'too's and froes' when stoping, enough to make you sick. Alloy wheels damp the car better.

My solution with the 450 pure, was to buy a set of secondhand Smart alloy's on Ebay complete with rubber, and swap them onto my 450, and it was far superior. I kept one of the steel fronts as a spare in the boot and sold the rest back on Ebay.

Moral is never buy a steel wheeled Fortwo, even if it is cheap.

PS...Steel wheels might be good as winter tyres, but I would never use them again.
    Complete and utter bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Complete and utter bollox.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

No, its the truth.....STEEL WHEELS ARE CRAP

I gave my reasons as above, the ride is crap.
    You lot just say bollocks without backing it up.

So moral is for any potential buyer of a Fortwo with steel wheels......DON'T BUY IT.
    If you are thinking about buying a Fortwo PURE....don't, unless you ditch the steels and get alloys.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 18-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    No, its the truth.....STEEL WHEELS ARE CRAP

I gave my reasons as above, the ride is crap.
    You lot just say bollocks without backing it up.

So moral is for any potential buyer of a Fortwo with steel wheels......DON'T BUY IT.
    If you are thinking about buying a Fortwo PURE....don't, unless you ditch the steels and get alloys.
    Compare the stiffness of an alloy wheel to the stiffness in the springs, bushings, and tyres (you did your comparison with the exact same tyres at identical pressures - yes?). There is no way it forms part of the sprung system and if it doesn't deform then it cannot damp.

Alloy wheels are nothing more than jewellery and when combined with some of the tyre profiles I see fitted remove utility from the vehicle - purely cosmetic then. Stiletto heels for men.
    They are heavier than steels, less rigid (when impacted beyond normal driving circumstance), leak (and corrode prematurely) and offer but one benefit - the potential for improved brake cooling. But given that there are very few drivers who exploit braking performance to the maximum, that benefit is as useful as a diving watch's ability to withstand pressure that would crush its wearer.
    Last edited by pinger; 18-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Alloys used to be a real improvement when they were lighter, that was the whole reason for fitting them. I fitted alloys to a golf that I had and it was a wonderful improvement over the standard steels.

For reasons unknown to me alloys are now heavier than steels so provided they are comparative in rigidity then ride will be improved with steels because the un-sprung weight is reduced and that is the only reason that matters to me.

I will probably change mine for steels this week as I have a set ready to go on, I will know then what difference it makes to a Smart car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    For reasons unknown to me alloys are now heavier than steels so provided they are comparative in rigidity then ride will be improved with steels because the un-sprung weight is reduced and that is the only reason that matters to me..
    In general ?
    Have you actually weighed a particular set of both steel and the alloy ‘model’ in question ?

You’re not just generalising on an assumption are you?

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo_is_spam View Post

You’re not just generalising on an assumption are you?
    Absolutely I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Absolutely I am.
    If I only had similar rubber on steel and alloys, I’d be throwing them on my Chinese digital luggage scales (that can resolve as little as a 150gram bag of crisps (to within 10grams) and read up to 45kg (I trust them implicitly)

But I don’t , they’re slightly different sizes and brands

So you’ve got away with your assumption ..... for now

I recall having weighed steel and aluminium alloy rims when we had a similar online discussion many years ago. I conlcuded at the time their weigth is very much the same.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG