Thread: Noob with a few problems

Noob with a few problems

Hi all, I've owned my roadster for a few months, it drives pretty well but it has a few problems I can't seem to get my head around that I hope some of you can help me with as follows:

The wipers stopped working in heavy rain and haven't worked since, doesn't seem to be the fuse, any ideas?

The forward o.s indicator is cracked, I bought a replacement but the washer bottle is in the way, how do I access?

It has developed an oil leak, it has always been a git gungy under the boot tray but it has started to drip on my driveway. Leak is near side.

On the plus side, genuine parts are really cheap from the Mercedes dealer, repairs have been easy to do so far and it's a great little thing to drive.

Thanks for any help.

urgently check for leaks (wiper tray) because if there is water in there you could be looking at a big bill

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=374

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny View Post
    Hi all, I've owned my roadster for a few months, it drives pretty well but it has a few problems I can't seem to get my head around that I hope some of you can help me with as follows:]
    Try http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-452

Your oil leak could be drive shaft seals ?.. or the turbo area ? or even positive crankcase pressure causing it to blow out from dipstick etc ... you need to get under and narrow it down to a particular area.

and here for the probable root cause of your wiper motor failure - and potentially more problems
    http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/for...bulkhead-leaks
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks for the links, I suspected that I'd have to remove the front wing to get at the indicator lens and will pull the scuttle tray apart and clean out that area.

Can I ask, are these prone to positive pressure? I have been suspecting that the oil leak and gunging is from the top of the dip stick, there is a lot of mess in this area. The driveshafts are lower than the leak, unless it can crawl upwards.

Hi all, I've owned my roadster for a few months, it drives pretty well but it has a few problems I can't seem to get my head around that I hope some of you can help me with as follows:

The wipers stopped working in heavy rain and haven't worked since, doesn't seem to be the fuse, any ideas?

The forward o.s indicator is cracked, I bought a replacement but the washer bottle is in the way, how do I access?

It has developed an oil leak, it has always been a git gungy under the boot tray but it has started to drip on my driveway. Leak is near side.

On the plus side, genuine parts are really cheap from the Mercedes dealer, repairs have been easy to do so far and it's a great little thing to drive.

Thanks for any help.
    OK a few things to factor in here... firstly there are virtually no Roadster owners on this forum - the answers above are from forfour and fortwo owners and whilst not necessarily bad advice, may not be quite right for you as a Roadster owner. You should get registered at www.theroadster.net and get acquainted with the folk on there as that's where you'll find the Smart Roadster community.

The wipers will almost certainly be a failed wiper motor. There's a small possibility it is a wet SAM unit, but unless you're getting other electrical shenanigans then it's far more likely your motor has seized.

The indicator is a bit of a mission to replace - best route is in from underneath - then buy some paint protection film and cover the lenses with it - it prevents future damage from stone chips.

Most likely your leak is from your sump which is very likely rusty and porus. A new sump is about 30 from Merc - paint it with something decent to protect it before fitting and it should last longer. Don't be tempted to buy an aftermarket one with a drain plug, they're not worth it, pumping the oil out with a PELA pump is more efficient and extracts more oil so keeps your engine in better condition.
    Last edited by 137699; 31-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Sumps when they leak are OS.
    And can be a PITA to replace. Check for other possible sources of leak before diving in.

I own 8 roadsters so I think that adds numbers to the owners on here
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    OK a few things to factor in here... firstly there are virtually no owners on this forum
    tweaked that for you bloomin VAG owners

haha

and mine was general roadster ownership advice for a new owner

using evilution search gives you this....

http://www.evilution.co.uk/Water%20I...per_faults.htm

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Thanks for the links, I suspected that I'd have to remove the front wing to get at the indicator lens and will pull the scuttle tray apart and clean out that area.
    Rather than taking the wing off, you really need to take the whole front end off as the wings are clipped to the centre panel and it would be very difficult to get to these to remove a single wing.
    It's a pain to have to do so much dismantling but it's not very difficult, just dozens of screws. Helps to have an assistant when removing the front end as it's a bulky, awkward shape for one person to handle, though it doesn't weigh much at all.

Can I ask, are these prone to positive pressure? I have been suspecting that the oil leak and gunging is from the top of the dip stick, there is a lot of mess in this area. The driveshafts are lower than the leak, unless it can crawl upwards.
    Yes! The PCV valve is very prone to clogging up with age and sticking open. When that happen boost pressure from the inlet is free to leak into the crankcase. The valve isn't too expensive (though 17 for a small plastic valve is a bit steep IMO). It connects from the throttle body into the crankcase at the front of the engine (i.e. the side that faces the front of the car). The throttle body connection is very easy to see and change, but the one on the engine is a nightmare unless you lower the engine on it's mounts, or have very tiny hands. It's possible to cut the rear pipe and join it to the new valve with a piece of flexible hose so you don't have to touch the engine end of it.

I'd definitely suggest you spend a tenner on a subscription to Evilution. It's a mine of useful information, even if the occasional rants by the author in the articles make it rather less professional than it could be

That said there is a good guide to removing the front on fq101.co.uk
    Last edited by mikerj; 07-05-2016 at 03:38 PM.