Thread: Which one to buy

Which one to buy

Hi All,
    I recently sold my 2001 Fortwo Passion and now want to buy a Roadster, but which is the best one to buy on my budget of 3000. There is a 2004 Roadster convertible with 72000 miles advertised near me for 2495, but I fancy the coupe model, the one with the roof which comes down over the engine bay. This looks as it it has more carrying capacity.
    I"m an older bloke so are they relatively easy for getting in and out of?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Regards

I have owned a 2003 Fortwo, and a 2004 Roadster (not coupe), and now a 2010 Fortwo, so I know how it feels to own them.

You being an older bloke, you have to bend down and duck your head as you enter a Roadster, as they are almost on the ground. They are fantastic to drive as its just like a motorised roller skate and really hug the bends, and have a lot of power for such a small car. Thats the good side.

The bad side is they leak like sieves, from the front bulkhead, the door mirrors, the door speakers, the roof, the SAM unit can get soaked costing a fortune to repair. I had mine for two years under warranty, but had to give it up after that as rain water leaks were just hopeless. In my two years the car was in for four rain water leaks to fix and a replacement steering rack, which was making noises.

I would say for your money you should upgrade to a 451 Fortwo, easy to get in, easy to drive, more reliable, less problems than a roadster, unless you want to spend your life trying to stop leaks, and there are solutions to the leaks, but its up to you how desperate you want a roadster.

Leak info....
    http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=info&mod=374

PS.....If considering a 451 Fortwo instead, do not go for MHD as it has problems with belts snapping, go for either petrol turbo or Diesel.
    Last edited by colin2x2; 07-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.

I wouldn't say getting in and out of a roadster is easy and I think I'm a youngster ??
    Quite funny when my husband pretty much had to roll out !!
    NoHairClaire.x
    'WhaT doesn't Kill you maKes you strAnger'

The bad side is they CAN leak like sieves
    fixed that for you
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

They MOSTLY leak like sieves

fixed that for you

There is a 2004 Roadster convertible with 72000 miles advertised near me for 2495, but I fancy the coupe model, the one with the roof which comes down over the engine bay. This looks as it it has more carrying capacity.
    It is true that the Coupe has more carrying capacity over the Notch but I wouldn't choose the Coupe just for that - the glass hatch is not that big. I've not owned a Roadster but have been in at least 3 Roadster Coupes thinking I would buy it and each time, it was the persistent problem of lack of load capacity that got me. They are a great drive as you might imagine.

A 451 is in your price range certainly but being controversial for a second... a first generation ForFour? They are infinitely more practical, easier to get in and out of than a Roadster (though not as much as a 450/451) and go just as quick. Damned reliable as well to boot.

OK you're asking about roadster ownership on a forum that's almost entirely bereft of Roadster owners.

All roadsters are convertibles - some have soft tops, some have hard tops, some have both, then you have to choose between coupe & notchback.

You need to start by reading the buyers guide:
    http://www.theroadster.net/trc/modul...cle.php?id=162

Then you need to register on the forum that guide resides on and speak to Roadster owners on there, maybe find one local to you who'll let you have a poke about their car.

I'm 44 and overweight and I find getting in and out tiresome albeit not difficult. Certainly a LOT better than a Lotus Elise.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion

As you're in the New Forest, why not come along to the next Southern Smart meet - 7.00pm on Wed 18th May at Cart & Horses Pub in Kingsworthy nr Winchester. There will be a number of Roadsters there, mine included.
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    It is true that the Coupe has more carrying capacity over the Notch but I wouldn't choose the Coupe just for that - the glass hatch is not that big. I've not owned a Roadster but have been in at least 3 Roadster Coupes thinking I would buy it and each time, it was the persistent problem of lack of load capacity that got me. They are a great drive as you might imagine.
    In absolute terms the extra space isn't huge, but it probably doubles the luggage space over a notch. It also means you can have a hardtop and have somewhere to store it when you take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    A 451 is in your price range certainly but being controversial for a second... a first generation ForFour? They are infinitely more practical, easier to get in and out of than a Roadster (though not as much as a 450/451) and go just as quick. Damned reliable as well to boot.
    If you want a Roadster than I can't imagine why you'd compromise on either a 451 or a ForFour. The 451 certainly has it's place as a tiny city car, but the 1litre normally aspirated engine feels gutless, the MHD isn't very reliable and they just don't feel sporty and fun in the way the Roadster does. As for the ForFour, there are dozens of other small hatchbacks on the market, most of which are better looking and likely to be more reliable and cheaper to run. There's just not enough to differentiate the ForFour IMO, though the Brabus version looks quick enough to be fun.

If you want a Roadster than I can't imagine why you'd compromise on either a 451 or a ForFour.
    I agree, if it has to be a Roadster, then it has to be a Roadster, I was merely offering suggestions as to alternative should the Roadster not suit the OP requirements.

The 451 certainly has it's place as a tiny city car, but the 1litre normally aspirated engine feels gutless, the MHD isn't very reliable and they just don't feel sporty and fun in the way the Roadster does.
    There is also the 84bhp/Brabus turbo models as well and the CDI (though calling the latter by anything close to the word fast is a stretch I will admit). I agree that the 451 (in a normal flavour anyway, I've never been in a Brabus 451) don't feel as "sporty" as the Roadster.

As for the ForFour, there are dozens of other small hatchbacks on the market, most of which are better looking and likely to be more reliable and cheaper to run. There's just not enough to differentiate the ForFour IMO, though the Brabus version looks quick enough to be fun.
    But none of the other little hatchbacks are a Smart, are they?

When my 2002 450 mk5 was written off last year, I was effectively in the OPs position. I could go for another 450, a 451, a 452 or a 454. I did the following in my head:

- Is going quickly a concern? Not really but it would be nice.
    - Must it be a petrol? No.
    - Do I have a garage or anywhere covered? No.
    - Does it have to be turbo charged? No.
    - Can I live with a soft top convertible in my street? No (Rules out a 450/451/452 soft top).
    - Must it be an Semi-Auto gearbox? Yes (Rules out a 454 Brabus/Manual variant).
    - Can I live with having a 5 speed box when previously, it was a 6 speed box? No (Rules out a 451).
    - Do I want another 450 having has 2 personally? No.
    - Will I be called to haul more than one person to a destination from time to time? Possibly.
    - Would having a Roadster impact on what I normally transport? Yes (Rules out a 452 notch).
    - Would having a Roadster-Coupe impact on what I normally transport? No.

The final question was "Do I prefer the Roadster-Coupe or the ForFour visually?". The answer is self evident. However, if I find the space on the street or get a storage place, my next would probably be a Roadster-Coupe. It was a close run thing though.

I know it is a pretty cold evaluation of why I went for a 454 over a 452 but these are the type of questions I ask myself when I am looking at a Smart of any flavour. For the OP, as I have already mentioned, if it has to be a Roadster, it has to be a Roadster but I would make sure that it suits your needs (like I did above) before committing. That is my two cents worth anyway.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 09-05-2016 at 05:32 PM.