View Poll Results: EU Referendum - remain or leave?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain in the EU.

9 39.13%
  • Leave the EU.

12 52.17%
  • I honestly do not know what we should do.

2 8.70%
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: EU Referendum - Remain or leave?

Fair points BID, but I'm still adamant that reinvesting the economic gain migrancy brings into infrastructure would solve many of the nation's objections. If new was seen as opposed to merely overstretching existing - who would object? Current government's ideology however has always been to shrink - not grow - the state. Long term, immigrant children will be contributing to our pensions - an important point.

Turkey? This I think is where it gets complicated. Trying to guess the extent of EU enlargement and the effects that will ensue. Peace, prosperity, stability are very hard to predict. Given that so much strife emanates from poverty and corrupt governments, bringing poorer countries into the fold can be cheaper overall if it prevents wars (that we will get sucked into) though arms traders see it differently (another complication). Developed countries with developed economies become consumers - to our benefit. Leaving countries to fester is rarely in our long term interest. Much of Africa proves that point.

If we view it from an ideological perspective, we have to ask is our current model/method of permitting large amounts of wealth to be concentrated in the hands of the very few better for us in the long term or should we seek to share it more widely and alleviate much suffering and give people life chances they can so far only dream of? (note, some of the most successful people in the west are immigrants). I see the EU as a vehicle that can move toward that. I view those in the Tory party orchestrating this referendum as having the opposite view.
    I guess, if we remove the economic arguments for a moment, our choice in the referendum will be made by our ideological world view.

We will be the ONLY people able to vote OUT ever.
    IF and its a big IF it all goes wrong we can always ask to go back in
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Very good. Did make me smile
    Www.BigPerformance.Co.Uk

020 328 REMAP (02032873627)
    STAR diagnostics. Remapping. Dyno.
    Key codingTAN codes. SCN codes. Body shop. Trimming. Crash repairs

Looking forward to watching the Cameron - Farage debate next week.

Other thoughts include - how can I believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a Labour MP when they have to toe the party line when inside they might actually believe 'out' is what they think is right?

At least the Conservatives have allowed MP's freedom as people to make their own choice.

The current government will still be the elected government after the referendum and needs to look after our interests as a country by getting down to whatever needs to be done no matter which way the people vote about the EU.

So talking to a friend who is for leaving - he thinks that the public will vote primarily to stay due to the financial implications of leaving. Whereas me who is slightly falling off the fence on the stay side thinks the public will vote primarily to leave due to the immigration agenda.

I found that quite interesting

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...aA&app=desktop

Warning: expletive at end - in case you are viewing at work.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    Other thoughts include - how can I believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a Labour MP when they have to toe the party line when inside they might actually believe 'out' is what they think is right?
    I'm not entirely convinced Labour are 100% for (Kate Whoooeee is for leaving) despite how they present themselves. A majority in the party are for remaining due to the social element of the EU (worker's rights etc).

At least the Conservatives have allowed MP's freedom as people to make their own choice.
    DC was powerless to keep a lid on them.

The current government will still be the elected government after the referendum and needs to look after our interests as a country by getting down to whatever needs to be done no matter which way the people vote about the EU.
    Who will be their leader? If we leave the EU DC's position is untenable. Boris will force the issue. Then we have a split government with the scantiest of parliamentary majority and the prospect of by-elections depending on what the Electoral Commission find investigating the spending during the last election. To call it a shambles is to be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Performance View Post
    We will be the ONLY people able to vote OUT ever.
    IF and its a big IF it all goes wrong we can always ask to go back in
    If I was half way to thinking re-joining was an option I'd persuade myself to stay. A divorce and remarriage will be a decade wasted.
    Flip it around though - we can always have another referendum to leave if we find continued membership of the EU isn't working for us.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild1976 View Post
    So talking to a friend who is for leaving - he thinks that the public will vote primarily to stay due to the financial implications of leaving. Whereas me who is slightly falling off the fence on the stay side thinks the public will vote primarily to leave due to the immigration agenda.

I found that quite interesting

JJ
    The immigration argument is hanging on lack of infrastructure (about which I have already said plenty). Ask your friends though, if we banish migrants, will the queues at A&E shorten? How so without NHS staff?
    Last edited by pinger; 26-05-2016 at 12:06 PM.

agreed....we need immigrants

the thing is that so many people don't understand the term "immigrant"

for instant, i'm pretty sure that students from overseas are classed as immigrants.

Also, when talking immigrants we don't consider the net increase in population from births/deaths (which is higher that that from immigration) but are we really gonna stop people having babies?

plus leaving the EU won't stop immigration, immigration comes from outside the EU as well. I think i read net migration was built from 1/3 leaving the UK, 1/3 entering from EU, 1/3 entering from outside the EU.

there is a problem closer to home as well though. The "immigrants take all the jobs" excuse just is not valid. its an excuse for lazy britain. I saw a prog a few months back where someone was interviewed outside the job centre saying (no joke) "there just aren't any jobs, only cleaning jobs" - so why can't the unemployed and those detained at HM pleasure do those tasks?

take a look at the job website and search jobs in your local area - LOADS! but clearly not the right jobs.

oh well.

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk - forfour technical forum
    www.evilution.co.uk
    www.quidco.com << CLICK - cash back on car insurance and online purchases

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild1976 View Post
    I have a friend from uni - she was normal once and now is the most bigoted person I know, using Facebook to pedal her racist crap (draped in a thin veil of wanting to preserve the country) while some of her best friends from 15 years back are of Italian, Pakistani, Indian and Goan heritage. She is deep in the mire of UKIP greyness and although is speaking at UKIP events on why she thinks we should leave, is a self
    Professed non voter until the last election!

People are mad

Why let us decide

JJ
    She sound perfect, is she pretty and single?