Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stiff steering - universal joint and steering rack damper

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Not so. Firstly, with the steering geometry compatible with ABS, large offsets (scrub radius) sufficient to cause kick back do not exist. Secondly, smart never engineered off road capability into the fortwo - why would it? Thirdly, where steering dampers have featured on off road vehicle (source of kick back myth) it is on those with axles where as you very well know gyroscopic precession can give rise to a steering shimmy which needs to be damped to prevent it self exciting and leading to a very dangerous driving condition.
    That is a lot of bull.

Steering column is now out. Had to remove dash and speaker bin. Then straightforward to remove steering column. Now prepairing to remove lower UJ.
    Last edited by tolsen; 27-05-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: +w
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Not so. Firstly, with the steering geometry compatible with ABS, large offsets (scrub radius) sufficient to cause kick back do not exist. Secondly, smart never engineered off road capability into the fortwo - why would it? Thirdly, where steering dampers have featured on off road vehicle (source of kick back myth) it is on those with axles where as you very well know gyroscopic precession can give rise to a steering shimmy which needs to be damped to prevent it self exciting and leading to a very dangerous driving condition.
    That reminds me of a long time ago , I was in a friend's Hillman Imp .... learning to drive.
    So I wanted to reverse up a little way along a a nice quiet road , so I put it in reverse and floored it ..... the front's went back and forth like a yo-yo ... castor in reverse I presume.

That is a lot of bull
    Your way ?... or it's dismissed as a load of bull ? .... nice
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Will remove steering column during next hour, then proceed to remove UJ, clean it and regrease.
    I was really tempted to suggest that you were being a bit ambitious with this and note that you have now discovered for yourself that removing the column is not a 1 hour job.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-in-dav View Post
    I was really tempted to suggest that you were being a bit ambitious with this and note that you have now discovered for yourself that removing the column is not a 1 hour job.

Easy job for those who can.
    The removal job only took about an hour including five minutes to remove the complete dash. Have already opened out lower UJ and have left the bearing cups soaking in red diesel. In spite of all my efforts to free them with penetration oil, all four cups were bone dry inside filled with some black powdery substance which I assume is road dust mixed with the small amount of grease these had when new.

Dash removed in five minutes. Note that speaker bin needs to come out too.

Lower universal joint partly opened out. Note powdery substance inside cup. Mixture of road dust and dried out grease.

Lower universal joint completely opened out. This UJ opens out and is removed the standard way.

Next job is to remove all needles from the cups, clean and reassemble with moly CV joint grease.
    Last edited by tolsen; 03-05-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Now that you have taken it apart, can you take the lower UJ off without removing all the rest of the stuff like the steering rack or steering shaft - the mounting joints on the UJ itself look like they take a bolt on one side and have a clamp system on the other side which you can undo and slide up and down the shaft a bit.

Would be nice just to take the lower joint out and clean without having to undo every thing else as this is likely to be the joint which is worst affected as the other is inside the car and protected somewhat from road rubbish.

John

John, that would require a shaft connection of some type to be added above lower universal joint. Not worth the risk and expense in my opinion.

One of the four cups in my universal joint is in a bad state. Now considering buying a new universal joint, preferably one that comes with a grease nipple. Existing joint can be saved if I can somehow fit a grease nipple on it. Depends how deep the case hardening goes.

Just bought a brand new universal joint for 8.99 delivered. Same as Cadillac and Hummer H2.

Just bought a brand new universal joint for 8.99 delivered. Same as Cadillac and Hummer H2.
    Wow - you don't hang about!

I was going to offer to cut the good upper joint from my scrap one for you to disasemble and rebuild into yours!

Same as Cadillac and Hummer H2.
    Laugh-Meme-04.jpg . .
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!