Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stiff steering - universal joint and steering rack damper

I have now taken the steering column out and replaced the spider - One proviso - make sure you put the lower connector on the correct way round, it is possible to put in on 180 degrees out! You then find that the arm that turns the indicators off is on the opposite side from the switch!

I think it might be possible to take the plastic arm off and put it back on if you have put the connecting joint on the wrong way round, but after 16 years I assume the plastic will be a bit brittle so I didn't want to chance breaking it! That meant I had to dismantle the UJ and put it back together again the correct way round.

Now I just have to deal with all the broken clips and rusted bits of metal which they attach to that hold the undertray's on.

John

The plastic clips holding undertray are cheap but the screws are not and they rust too.

For that reason I have replaced all screws with stainless steel. Available from Toolstation for about a Pound something for a pack of ten.

http://www.toolstation.com/search?searchstr=27134 47618 16869

Use stainless steel Penney washer, cheapest sourced from eBay.

These are security screws so need the hollow security bit or do like me and drill out the centre pin on each screw head. Got to keep your tongue straight when drilling.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Universal joint for the 450 steering column is now again available from Febest for about 8.55 inclusive of delivery. Google AST-1539. Febest is based somewhere in Estonia but sometimes also sells on eBay.
    https://shop.febest.eu/universal-joi...-ast-1539.html
    Of course, satisfactory replacement of a universal joint can only be carried out by a sufficiently able bodied person whose head is correctly screwed on and connected to a fully operational central nervous system.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

I have another of these joints going spare if anyone needs one. Free - or you can donate a few quid to Cancer Research if you like.

Penetrating fluid....this reminds me of my very first car, a rear engined Hillman imp (made in Paisley, Scotland) back in the early 70's, and it had a very common problem of the steering wheel slowly seazing up, until one day I could hardly take a bend and ended up on the wrong side of the road.

A workmate told me to put rags soaked in penetration oil over the joints for a few days and it was OK again for another year, had to do this annually till I sold it.

Another interesting factor being a rear engined car, was Winter when the front wheels were too light in the ice and snow, so had to put a bag of cement in the front compartment to weigh it down and get a grip. A fellow workmate with same car put a massive bag of potatoes in it, and you can guess how that turned out after a few months in the front compartment, Yuk

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Penetrating fluid....this reminds me of my very first car, a rear engined Hillman imp (made in Paisley, Scotland) back in the early 70's, and it had a very common problem of the steering wheel slowly seazing up, until one day I could hardly take a bend and ended up on the wrong side of the road.

A workmate told me to put rags soaked in penetration oil over the joints for a few days and it was OK again for another year, had to do this annually till I sold it.

Another interesting factor being a rear engined car, was Winter when the front wheels were too light in the ice and snow, so had to put a bag of cement in the front compartment to weigh it down and get a grip. A fellow workmate with same car put a massive bag of potatoes in it, and you can guess how that turned out after a few months in the front compartment, Yuk
    I think all British cars of that era needing that sort of tune up. Two concrete flagstones being the order of the day for a Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Penetrating fluid....
    A workmate told me to put rags soaked in penetration oil over the joints for a few days and it was OK again for another year, had to do this annually till I sold iT
    Penetrating fluid is no long term lubrication at all, it's great for getting stuff moving , but should be replaced with a grease or oil straight after it's done its job.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!