Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadster Oil Leak

Roadster Oil Leak

Hi folks,

Lately I've noticed oil leaking underneath my Roadster after driving. I noticed it two days ago but it may have been leaking for a while now. I looked underneath and there is grimy oil underneath the engine and also around the dipstick. The car had a service earlier this year. I checked the oil level last week and it was fine. I've never noticed oil leaking before. Any ideas/ advice folks?

Cheers, Paul.
    -----------------------------
    2003 450 Smart ForTwo Passion - SOLD
    2003 Smart Roadster 80 109ps SW-Exclusive Remap

Go and buy some "GUNK" or "JIZER" engine de-greaser, spray the engine to get rid of the existing oil stain, which will be much larger than the actual leak point.

Run the engine for a bit and observe where the leak starts from. let us know and then we can help with solutions!

John

If the check valve (can't remember its proper name) that is part of the crankcase breathing is stuck the sump gets pressurised and the oil will escape from wherever it can. Clue will be leaking high up on the engine.
    Other wise, rusted sump or rusted turbo oil return pipe are prime suspects. The seal between the sump and the block has been known to fail (mine did). Check also the condition of the seal on the oil filler cap.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    If the check valve (can't remember its proper name) that is part of .
    PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve.

Boost will leak to crankcase if it doesn't seal fully, pushing oil out of dipstick tube and wherever else it can do.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks folks, much appreciated. Yes it does appear as though oil is pushing out of the dipstick tube as there's oily residue around the outside of the dipstick. And there is a large oil stain at the bottom of the engine and oil drips on to the floor when the car is parked after driving.

I'm not a mechanic so I'd be best taking it to a garage. How serious a problem is this? Would it be costly? I hope it's a quick fix.

Cheers, Paul.

The PCV valve is easily checked by removing it and blowing through from both sides. It should flow in only one direction. Replacing can be difficult as its lower, forward end is hard to access but if its lowest part (the hard to remove part) is left then the same part can be removed from the new one and the new one fitted to the existing bit. (The PCV valve is attached to a longish pipe, the whole assembly being what you get when you buy one).

A shortcut test without removing the lower end is to blow then suck (rather than blowing from the other end) but you will end up with a bad taste in your mouth!
    See Evilution and/or FQ101 for fitting guide. It isn't difficult if you do it as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Thanks folks, much appreciated. Yes it does appear as though oil is pushing out of the dipstick tube as there's oily residue around the outside of the dipstick. And there is a large oil stain at the bottom of the engine and oil drips on to the floor when the car is parked after driving.

I'm not a mechanic so I'd be best taking it to a garage. How serious a problem is this? Would it be costly? I hope it's a quick fix.

Cheers, Paul.
    Hope it's the PCV valve listed at top of this:
    http://fq101.co.uk/articles/25-high-oil-consumption
    and a bit more work if it turns out to be this:
    http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/for...eather-channel
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

Thanks guys. I'm no mechanic so I won't be sorting this myself. At the moment the car is driving ok and apart from the oil leak I haven't noticed any high temperatures. There is oil around the dipstick but I haven't noticed the dipstick being forced out due to pressure (as described in the link you gave reinaldo_is_spam). The turbo gauge doesn't appear to be any different while driving and the temperature gauge appears normal. If anything I would say it is a little on the cooler side but hasn't been reaching high temperatures.

I am concerned that I need to take the car to a garage asap but I don't want to fork out the cost of taking it to a Smart dealer as it would cost a fortune?

How safe would the car be to drive on short journeys? Max. 13 miles?

I live in Wakefield (West Yorkshire), so if anyone has any suggestions for a suitable garage or repair service in my area I'd be most grateful!

I am concerned that I need to take the car to a garage asap but I don't want to fork out the cost of taking it to a Smart dealer as it would cost a fortune?
    100/hour at MB/smart dealer, if they do fractions of hour, say 1/2hr then 50 to fit - but it is very easy to do (pull off push on) if you do it as per my suggestion. To check if you need one is half the job done (ie one end removed then just remove the other to fit the new one).

How safe would the car be to drive on short journeys? Max. 13 miles?
    No problem - all you have to worry about is the oil level falling too low.

I live in Wakefield (West Yorkshire), so if anyone has any suggestions for a suitable garage or repair service in my area I'd be most grateful!
    I'm not sure there is an indy nearby - unless a forum member can help.

Thanks pinger. Much appreciated. Hoping it's not too big a job. As I said before I checked the oil level last week and it appeared to be ok. I will check again though over the weekend.

If anyone has any good suggestions for an independent Smart repairer that would be great. Just don't fancy being charged an arm and a leg by Smart / MB.