Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roadster Oil Leak

Just been and looked at mine (there are two) on my fortwo. The forward (at the throttle body) facing one is a doddle to remove and refit though mine doesn't have aircon so easier. The other one's end disappears to god knows where (I have replaced it in the past (by method mentioned)) but as it is fine, I'm digging no further. Both can be checked (for not closing which causes crankcase pressurisation) by detaching them at the throttle body end and blowing into their ends. Your cheeks should swell and your face turn blue if they are closing. Doesn't check that they aren't stuck closed - requires sucking.

I'd check first before replacing either. Replacing either or both is a job any garage can do.

I wouldn't be able to make any sense of it! If any garage can do the repair then I could just take it to Halfords? They've serviced my car the last couple of years.
    -----------------------------
    2003 450 Smart ForTwo Passion - SOLD
    2003 Smart Roadster 80 109ps SW-Exclusive Remap

Once you have the part in your hand and hand it and the car to a garage they will know what to do.
    You've done me a favour here. All this talk of PCVs prompted me to check mine - and one is buggered so new one ordered. 14.20 (for the forward facing one) but from Germany so a slight delay in getting it. Not helped by MB's ordering computer system being currently crashed. If It comes back this afternoon I should get my new one on Monday.

I just need to know that that's exactly what's at fault I guess. Well, glad I've done you a favour!

Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    I just need to know that that's exactly what's at fault I guess. Well, glad I've done you a favour!
    See pic below: fuelreg4.jpg

The part the finger is pointing at is the ( forward facing) PCV. The other is directly opposite rearwards and the conical part is the valve. Detach and blow and suck to determine if they need replacing. As Kate says, could be the dipstick seal (or oil cap seal) that is all that is wrong. The PCV valves are failure prone though.

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    I can't tell if that rubber bit on the dipstick is still sealing properly. It looks ok but I guess it should be a tight fit. There is a lot of oily residue around that area. And also underneath the engine. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    See pic below: fuelreg4.jpg

The part the finger is pointing at is the ( forward facing) PCV. The other is directly opposite rearwards and the conical part is the valve. Detach and blow and suck to determine if they need replacing. As Kate says, could be the dipstick seal (or oil cap seal) that is all that is wrong. The PCV valves are failure prone though.
    Everything looks intact there. But obviously I won't know if there's anything wrong without doing what you said. Am I checking to see if it's blocked?

What I have noticed is the temperature gauge is low and hardly moves up on long journeys. In stop/start town traffic the temperature increases but it does appear a lot lower than normal.

I also noticed the oil light appear for a second or so on two different occasions. I checked the oil level when I got home and the oil level appears to be fine on the dipstick?