Thread: Flooded engine

Flooded engine

This week I attempted to trade in my beloved Roadster for a totally different car at a dealership in Barnsley. The car I collected, a Vauxhall Corsa, had faults. The steering linkage was knackered and the gear stick was all over the place. I sought a refund and got the AA to deliver the car back to the garage. After the refund had taken place and I was about to receive my Roadster back, they then told me it wouldn't start! I said it has never done this, and it's had a new battery not long ago. So then one of the mechanics sat in the car and attempted to start it with his foot on the gas pedal! Clearly they didn't know how to start a Smart car and they'd been saying they had difficulty starting it the night before which I couldn't understand.

So, I called out the AA to come to the garage and it happened to be the same AA guy that I saw earlier in the day! He was shocked as I was at this turnout of events.

He deduced that the engine had been flooded. Clearly the muppets at the garage knew nothing about how to properly start a Smart car.

So now I have the Roadster back in my name, re-insured in my name again and re-taxed. BUT, it's still stuck in a yard behind the dealership in Barnsley as it now needs to go to a suitable garage who can get it to start again.

I also noticed that the key is playing up, perhaps a new battery is needed as it is reluctant to unlock and takes a number of presses.

I hope that the engine isn't damaged in any way through this and it's easy to fix? The Roadster still has the oil leak I posted about a few weeks ago too which I still haven't got to the bottom of.

Any advice appreciated. I also need to have the car taken to capable hands. Smart in Leeds is one option but possibly very expensive. Can a small independent garage with some knowledge of Smart cars fix a flooded engine?
    -----------------------------
    2003 450 Smart ForTwo Passion - SOLD
    2003 Smart Roadster 80 109ps SW-Exclusive Remap

In light of getting a different brand of car... I still want another Smart too!

Or, get my Roadster fixed once and for all and back on the road...

I might like another newer ForTwo though...
    -----------------------------
    2003 450 Smart ForTwo Passion - SOLD
    2003 Smart Roadster 80 109ps SW-Exclusive Remap

Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    So then one of the mechanics sat in the car and attempted to start it with his foot on the gas pedal! Clearly they didn't know how to start a Smart car and they'd been saying they had difficulty starting it the night before which I couldn't understand.

He deduced that the engine had been flooded. Clearly the muppets at the garage knew nothing about how to properly start a Smart car.
    I doubt you've (or they've) flooded it (a fuel injected engine) , it's way more common with a old school carb engine.

You have something other at work , crank sensor possibly.

It just needs to be left for a day, put on charge for best results , and you'll probably find it'll start next time you go for it.

Pumping the throttle will have little effect on a fuel injected car anyway (it would certainly risk further flooding it on a carb engine though)
    It may actually have the opposite effect (a good effect) as some ECU's will interpret pumping or WOT during cranking as a cue to cut/reduce fuelling.

You also need to sort these other issues , change the key battery , don't just talk about it... .... get that oil leak sorted ... or at least discover where it's coming from ... engines aren't meant to leak oil !

I hope you get it sorted soon regardless.
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

If you get it over to Howich near Bolton a Mate of mine did my smart roadster fantastic mechanic ��

Are you saying the Roadster has no acceleration pump built into its carb? No platinum points in the distributor either then I suspect?
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Are you saying the Roadster has no acceleration pump built into its carb? No platinum points in the distributor either then I suspect?
    Maybe it's the condensor
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

The accelerator pedal does nothing until the engine is running.