Thread: Fuel Filler Flange/Membrane Replacement

Fuel Filler Flange/Membrane Replacement

Hi All,

I did a lot of searching for this before coming to ask the question, trying many different words for "rubber thing behing the flap", without any joy.

The filler flange/seal/membrane/rubber sleeve thingmy behind my fuel filler cap has degraded to a crumbly mess and cracked. It was like this when I got the care two years ago and until I got really interested in faffing about with Beastie, I didn't think to replace it. I've now bought a new rubber thingmybob but then realised that the fitting of it doesn't look as easy as I'd first thought, with the sleeve having a groove in it at one end, presumably to slot onto something inside the car, within the frame where it seems impossible to get to.

If I remove the old one, will all become clear, or will I be left with an impossible task and a car that won't be road-safe...

Thanks!

Jenn

I had this on my previous City-Coupe - its a 10 minute job to do though it can be a bit fiddly. Though this was written for a City-Coupe/Fortwo, it should apply for a Roadster I believe. http://www.wirralsmarts.co.uk/mainte...uide.php?id=14
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 04-07-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks for the reply :-)
    Unfortunately, the flange on the Roadster is an entirely different animal, with a long neck that goes down into the body and looks like it's supposed to slot onto something. I'm a little concerned it will be a tricky thing to re-attach without access, but haven't dared take the old one out to check, as there's so little room to maneuver.
    resized-2016-07-04 09.26.37.jpg
    resized-2016-07-04 09.26.40.jpg

==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Thanks, that's given me some ideas! :-) I'll probably take a few photos with the borescope before I dive in, but looks doable... just need to find a long poky stick and hope for the best, I suppose!

My latest eBay jobbie was made for multiple variants of Smart and had to be trimmed to fit
    Follow the Hayabusa powered Smart Fortwo build here

YouTube Video's Here

I managed to get it in there, but I'd be very surprised if it's actually sat in the groove at the back... do you think it matters much? It's not often I spill fuel, anyway... I tend to be very careful to drip it in the hole.
    Photo shows (kinda) the groove bit at the back, but getting it in that bit is total guesswork, really.
    resized-2016-07-04 12.47.51.jpg
    resized-2016-07-04 12.48.03.jpg