Thread: Roof siezed on rear right latch

Unhappy Roof seized on rear right latch

Hi guys,

My roof was probably never serviced before I bought the car and I've barely used it, thankfully not needing to at all since getting new air con pipes fitted about a year ago.

Mastertech had previously advised it was suffering from a lot of wear and would need a 600+ overhaul, so I didn't use it, apart from maybe 3 times where I had to help it half way, going down and up.

I decided to try and clean & re-grease the runners the other day, so it would work perhaps a little better for my Euro trip. Unfortunately, it jammed afterwards and now the right side won't close, seemingly because the rear clip has travelled further than it should have and is in locked position before the front clip has gone to the front.

I managed to level the roof out again by popping the motor off. The gearing under the motor was full of gunk, rust and fluff, so I gave that a good clean, but I think some of it probably related to the cable wearing, so no doubt it'll fluff up again. Problem is, I can't use the car at the moment, because the roof is gaping, either on the right only or, if I pop the motor and gear out, it's open but level.

Is there any way to force the roof shut under these circumstances?! I took it to Mastertech and they said they'd need to dismantle the whole roof etc (I presume take it out backwards, as there's no apparent way the rear clip will budge just now, so the roof coming forwards off the rail isn't really an option) and they said the sky is the limit for how much this would cost to repair.

I've got a gloss hard top coming, hopefully on Friday, so going to dismantle the soft top at that point and totally remove it from the car, so I can try to restore it in a more accessible environment, then perhaps sell it on, but I really need my car before then, if possible, so was hoping perhaps someone had come across this issue before and found a trick to unjam the roof, perhaps pop the clip off the cable or something, to enable a bodge fix and close the roof...?

Any ideas on potential fixes would be massively appreciated! Can provide photos of issue, if it would help.

Thanks, All!

Jenn
    Last edited by Jennasis; 05-07-2016 at 12:34 PM.

I'm not sure if you have figured this out yet but this site isn't exactly overflowing with fellow Roadster owners -it's mostly a fortwo community and the roof on the roadster is quite different to the fortwo roof.
    You are much better asking questions like this on www.theroadster.net where the roadster owners can be found.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Thanks, will do that when I've got it off the car, so I have more patience with it and don't have to worry about the rain + time so much.
    If I can get it working again, brilliant!

Picked the top up from the locat depot last night. Got the soft top completely removed and hard top retrofitted in under 3 hours, with a little tinkering with bits of old welly rubber and glue this morning, to stop the roof drains leaking into the car and setting the alarm off. Sorted :-) So much more boot space now, too! I reversed the beam that was protecting the soft top, and can now get a full shop in there without need to use the front boot or passenger seat. One happy weirdo :-)

resized-2016-07-08 19.18.38.jpg
    resized-2016-07-08 19.18.30.jpg
    resized-2016-07-08 21.48.06.jpg
    resized-2016-07-09 10.56.07.jpg
    resized-2016-07-09 10.56.15.jpg