Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Weight Question

Question Passenger Weight Question

I'm posting a lot of questions here, so apologies for another! Off to Europe next week, so trying to get tons sorted.

I have a friend who I'd like to take with me on my trip. The only issue is that he weighs around 20 stone and I way under 10, so I'm a little worried about both our combined weight being over the limit and also the imbalance causing undue vehicular stress (extra wear on passenger side) and potential handling issues.

I've not had a passenger more than about 14 stone in the car before and I know performance was affected with him in, so I am a little concerned, but want to know if these concerns are valid or if I'm a horrid person for even thinking about it.

Thanks for any advice!

Jenn

Doubt the "Horrid person" bit if you invited him in the first place!

Of course it will affect the handling of the car, but no more so than a good side wind! Just drive with more care and attention to things like side winds, potholes, kerbs, braking distances etc - i.e drive with care and attention like you always should....

Make sure you have breakdown insurance that covers all the places you will be visiting, and then enjoy yourselves.

John

Permitted payload is 220kg (178kg Brabus Coupe). Still 30kg to spare!

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Still 30kg to spare!
    That's lunch sorted then :
    You're so money supermarket and you don't even know it!

I'm struggling to believe a man weighing 20st can actually get in and out of a Roadster. They aint exactly what you'd call roomy.

Thanks for the info and feedback, folks! :-D
    On reflection, I've actually decided to go it alone, for reasons other than weight, so it's now a non-issue and I'm just waiting on the glossy hard-top arriving Saturday, so I can replace the knackered soft top, just in the nick of time!
    At least I know now I can do local stuff with my friend without too much worry, besides his comfort, of course.
    1600 miles of solo driving, coming up!

Going alone, oh well that'll mean you'll only be able to go fast round right hand bends - the weight being on the right side of the car. If you'd still be going with your chum, you'd have been able to handle left turns faster. It reminds me of the Isetta, as designed (LHD) it was sort of well balanced for all corners. Then you guys decided to have a RHD model, which put more weight on the right side of the car. Great for right turns not so good for left turns. The German's answer was to put a 10kg lump of cast iron behind the passenger, on the floor. As to how successful that was - if you find one, they're most collectible and worth their weight in copper.
    So, with or without your roof on, have fun.
    Cheers, Ian.

I'm struggling to believe a man weighing 20st can actually get in and out of a Roadster. They aint exactly what you'd call roomy.
    I'm currently 19.5 stone and at my peak was 21 stone. And I have been using a Roadster as my daily for the last 10 years.
    And no it doesn't upset the handling.
    ==============================
    2004 Roadster-Coupe SB2 Brabus
    2005 ForTwo Brabus Numeric
    2014 Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG
    ex 2002 City Coupe 600cc Pulse
    ex 2003 City Coupe 700cc Passion
    ==============================

Quote Originally Posted by 137699 View Post
    I'm currently 19.5 stone and at my peak was 21 stone. And I have been using a Roadster as my daily for the last 10 years.
    And no it doesn't upset the handling.
    Thanks for the first-hand experience! Very reassuring to know :-)

You've not met 'fatrick' of the TR.net then ...... he'd have to diet to a mere 20 st and easily fits into a Roadster. ;-)