Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadster Wiper motor will not turn off when ignition on.

Roadster Wiper motor will not turn off when ignition on.

I have spent all day trying to fix this and getting really annoying now.
    The wipers on my Smart Roadster 2004 when the ignition is on will not stop going. Turn the ignition off and they stop. Ignition on they go again.
    For the last month or so they were taking a while to turn off. IE. if I squirted the water or just did a quick wipe they would take between 20 and 30 passes before they stopped by themself.
    Or I could turn the ignition off when they were in the down position and then when I turned the ignition on again they would stay off.
    So that was drivable, but in the constant on when ignition is on it is not now practical to drive the car.

So today I had a big attempt to fix it.
    I visually checked the SAM by sliding under the steering wheel and shining a torch. Everywhere looked bone dry. Like it was new out of the factory.
    I replace the wiper motor relay. The yellow one.
    I replaced the wiper stalk switch.
    I stripped down the wiper motor. WD40'd it and sealed it all with silicon. This was a new Febi 37619 moto that I fitted last year (doing the spindal mod so it fitted roadster rods). In the casing it all looked shiny new still. No signs of water entry.
    I WD40'd the connections to the motor and sealed the wiring and connection with the stretchy rubberised tape.

But no joy. Still when I turn the ignition on the wiper motor just stays on.

Is there any (easy) way I can check the SAM without having to take it off. I really can not afford a replacement SAM. Especially after all the parts I paid out for and replaced today. There are no other signs at all that the SAM may be faulty or I have got water in it. Everything else works as it should.

I am thinking the wiper motor sensor may be faulty. But does this sound reasonable on a motor that is less than a year old? Is there any way I can test the motor to see if it's sensor is the problem?

Sorry, can't offer any advise other than maybe the park switch within the motor. The Roadster.net http://www.theroadster.net might be the 'better' forum to ask your question.

PS Are you the Roadster owner at the bottom of Kitt Green? I work at the big Beanz place up the road. :-)

I'm kind of hoping it is the sensor in the motor. As the motor is only a year old I thought it would be ok. But certainly cheaper than a new SAM to replace it.

I'm in Ince, Wigan. Blue hardtop roadster, with thin blue and fluorescent green stripe down the sides.

I'll look out for you ..... you'll be the one washing your screen ;-) I'll likely be in a red/silver 451 Fortwo :-)

If you get stuck, we could always diagnose by replacement ie swap my working one over to yours:-)

I had a ForTwo before my Roadster. Really liked it and would get one again.
    My wife has a ForFour.
    We kind of like our Smarts

Think I will buy another motor and try it out. If it is not that I can always sell the new one on, and cheaper than a SAM to try out.

Hi I'm in Horwich I had the same problem the other day mine was the wiper motor if you want to you can try mine
    Hope that helps

Thanks for the offer Gus6.
    I was not expecting it to be the motor as it was only replaced with a new one less than a year ago.
    But I suppose it could have been a bad one.
    I've ordered another one which should be with me by Friday. Figured if it is not that I can always sell it on again for what I paid for it so worth a try.

I don't know whether you have looked at this?

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=water%20ingress&mod=906

Hope it helps.

Why not just fit a simple on/off switch to the dash and use that to cut power to the wiper motor, that way you have some control over it.

Not sure how this goes regarding MOT though?

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    Why not just fit a simple on/off switch to the dash and use that to cut power to the wiper motor, that way you have some control over it.

Not sure how this goes regarding MOT though?
    I was considering that, but does not look as if it would be ok for MOT