Thread: Speed sensding wipers

Speed sensding wipers

The wipers on my 07 Roadster Coupe switch automatically from constant to intermittent when I stop the car. I thought I was imagining it at first. Then I thought it was water ingress in the motor. But now I realise it happens every time without fail and I can repeat it over and over again so it must be intentional.

I've never come across this in a car (including the other two Roadsters I owned previously) and there is nothing in the manual about it. Has anyone else come across this? I couldn't find anything about it when I searched.

Quote Originally Posted by benw View Post
    .... I couldn't find anything about it when I searched.
    http://www.theroadster.net/maddan/useful/roadster.pdf page 3-12 ;-) My Merc does similar & pretty sure EmilysMum's Citroen C3 does it too

Yep its standard on a lot of cars nowadays. It's designed so that the wiper motors are only working as hard as the amount of rain falling supposedly to extend the life of the motors. Really though its just a nice luxury to show off, if your into that sort of thing

If you look behind your rear view mirror (from outside) you should see the sensor similiar to the bottom of an optical mouse. If you want to have some fun, try turning your wipers on and squirting some water onto the sensor. You should see them speed up and slow down as the clear the water off.

The C3 does do it and it also wipes the rear screen when you select reverse if the front wipers are on. There is also a speed change when you get over a certain speed with the wipers normally on slow for example if you join a motorway.

It's the "because we can" syndrome that contributes so much to mending difficulties when something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    .... and it also wipes the rear screen when you select reverse if the front wipers are on. .....
    and it has the option of not doing so.

My Four2 (451) also wipes the rear screen as does my R Class, when the screen wipers are on ...... neither of which have the option of not doing so (maybe via STAR ????)

Quote Originally Posted by stagnetti View Post
    ....If you look behind your rear view mirror (from outside) you should see the sensor similiar to the bottom of an optical mouse. If you want to have some fun, try turning your wipers on and squirting some water onto the sensor. You should see them speed up and slow down as the clear the water off.
    You're describing 'auto' wipers .... the speeding up & slowing down thing will do so without auto wipers ;-)

There is a lot of weird extra moves designed into Smart wipers. On my 451 Fortwo if your front wipers are on, and you go into reverse, the rear wipers go on by themselves.

A bit unsettling the first time it happened, but used to it now.

I suppose its helps with safety.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2x2 View Post
    .... On my 451 Fortwo if your front wipers are on, and you go into reverse, the rear wipers go on by themselves.

As above ... it does it on various other cars too