Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original Smart 450 radio antenna 55 cm

I have been messing with an RTL SDR USB dongle and Android. Excellent reception form a 1 inch bit of wire. I am just drawing the parts needed to make an Android tablet fit where the radio goes so I can 3d print them. Undecided whether to use a seperate tablet or make bits for my phone to fit.

Both DAB and FM work well using Wavesink.

Reception is poor up here and worse further west where in quite a few places there is no radio signal at all except perhaps short wave.
    Now looking forward to getting my new Smart antenna which is on its way from Mercedes in Dundee. I am curious whether the expensive original Smart antenna will be any better than my home made haywire antenna.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Reception is poor up here and worse further west where in quite a few places there is no radio signal at all except perhaps short wave.
    Now looking forward to getting my new Smart antenna which is on its way from Mercedes in Dundee. I am curious whether the expensive original Smart antenna will be any better than my home made haywire antenna.
    There is no reason to suppose it will be, they are not rocket science.

They are a black art though I have to say.

Do you have DAB up there in the third world part of the UK? Those dongles are only 5 and work really well wiht either a PC or Android.

DAB does not work here.

DAB is out of date technology from the late eighties and will soon die a death.
    I recently acquired a DAB radio from the local rubbish tip and found I can't set my clocks to it because several seconds late.
    Last edited by tolsen; 04-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    DAB is out of date technology from the late eighties and will soon die a death.
    I recently acquired a DAB radio from the local rubbish tip and found I can't set my clocks to it because several seconds late.
    Early nineties for this particular version. I was working alongside the guy that was developing it, we were both implementing OFDM for communications and worked together. It is due to be replaced with a new version which will of course, make all existing ones useless. Unless you are using SDR

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    It is due to be replaced with a new version which will of course, make all existing ones useless.
    There you go, straight from the horse's mouth.

I think the French/ Italian DRM system makes more sense. Can broadcast digital radio over existing FM, LW, MW, FW an SW bands so much better coverage in remote areas and can be implemented at significantly less cost than DAB.

Collected new original Smart antenna this afternoon from dealer in Aberdeen. Antenna is made in Poland so must be good. Price paid was 12.24 plus VAT.

I fitted antenna and tuned the radio outside parts entrance and found stations I never knew existed. Quite an improvement over my DIY haywire antenna which was miles better than the cheap short lived one from ebay.