Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Piston Smart

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    I thought I would set the timing sprocket before fitting the camshaft, but I was still one tooth out when it was fitted

That's because you have to compress the tensioner significantly to be able to get the sprocket onto the end of the cam, and this causes at least a tooth of rotation as you effectively lengthen the tensioned side of the chain. If you fit it one tooth retarded (sprocket one tooth anti-clockwise) it all falls into place when the tensioner is compressed.

It was still worth getting the timing close.

Buttoned everything up during 12 hours yesterday, but one hour was spent going to ECP to buy head gasket and bolts for 42, as the set I'd ordered off an eBay seller never arrived.

At 9pm last night I tried to start the car and it wasn't interested, even with my booster attached the engine was very sluggish.

I left it as I was too tired, good call because when I returned this morning it was immediately obvious that the alternator was seized - I really should have remembered that always happens!

Yet more expense this morning, 24mm offset ring spanner from Halfords to try to free up the alternator, which wasn't easy, even with copious quantities of penetrating spray, and engine oil squirted in with a syringe.

Finally it started and settled down to an even idle, so very pleased. After warming up and dealing with a minor coolant leak, I took the car for a run around the block to ensure everything was in order, and all seems fine.

This has to be one of the least cost effective repairs ever done, problem is that I am not programmed to throw things away, I always assume they can be repaired. Sometimes I under estimate the cost, but this time it was far worse than that - it was incompetence coupled with stubbornness.
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Repair comes before replace even in a dictionary. Cost always comes second provided both are the same order of magnitude.

Well done.

MOT Pass today, but high Hydrocarbons at 168 vs 200 max

Putting that down to a combination of excessive blow by due to scoring in one of the cylinders, and lack of run in time.

I will do a compression test in due course, just out of curiosity, but I'm not expecting it to be outside the usual 15% allowance as the engine isn't particularly rough.

Right now it just has to earn its keep for the next couple of years or 10k without embarrassing me.

At least I don't have to drive the Cerb to the shops any more - that was grim.
    Paul

Still haven't done a compression test, may do shortly though.

Really wish I'd replaced the rocker cover gasket, they're only 12, and I'm losing a significant quantity of oil and I have to put a drip tray (cardboard sheet) under the car where I park at home. What an idiot!

However at least it's running reliably now, but I have to keep a close eye on the oil level, as I've already got dangerously close to exposing the pickup. No smoke, so it's down to the leak.
    Paul

No smoke, so it's down to the leak.
    Mine burning 0.5l oil every 250 miles showed no smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    Mine burning 0.5l oil every 250 miles showed no smoke.
    How disappointing

I guess that would tally with the high 168 HC emissions

Is that just down to piston rings, or is there something else that could be going on?
    Paul

How disappointing

I guess that would tally with the high 168 HC emissions

Is that just down to piston rings, or is there something else that could be going on?
    It was all down to the rings - note past tense!
    Even burning a lot of oil a good cat can bring down the HC but it sacrifices itself in the process. Mine went from 30ppm to 115ppm with oil consumption staying the same as the new cat deteriorated. Then it burned a valve prompting a rebuild. Oil use is non existent now and last MOT HC emissions of 6ppm were recorded.

Your oil loss may well just be a leak but if its getting past the rings - consumption as previously stated can persist for quite some time before a valve fails without warning.

I fitted new pistons, with rings pre-fitted.

Every other time I've fitted them myself - perhaps they're upside down...

Definitely going to do a compression test soon.
    Paul

To be brutally frank with you, there is so much rubbish spouted re the Suprex's weakness.
    Oil control rings fail - but everyone tells you to do a compression test as if it were the compression rings that were failing and had to be assessed. Compression test to confirm a burned valve (on the off chance a coil or injector has failed) but as you know, a burned valve makes itself known fairly succinctly!