Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Piston Smart

Hahaha .
    I don't count the prototype or the V6 version

I think it has more to do with how roadies are driven compared to fortwo's. Our loan cars are fortwos but tuned & driven hard one's over 100,000 miles the other is 95,000 odd just done engine on one as timing chain loose, other still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    I think it has more to do with how roadies are driven compared to fortwo's. !
    That, and the lower gearing.

I found out where some of the missing piston ended up when I discovered that the turbo was seized.

Fortunately it cleaned up pretty well with a dremel, and the turbine itself wasn't actually damaged, although I couldn't remove every trace of aluminium coating.

Interestingly there is a large internal crack in the manifold, which I suspect has been there for sometime and is unrelated to the engine failure. It is not visible when mounted to the engine and probably isn't leaking to the outside.

Here are the plugs removed from the replacement engine. One cylinder does not appear to be in perfect condition, but hopefully if I use some engine flush with a couple of quick oil changes it might free up a sticky control ring - I can but hope!

Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

That crack in the exhaust will probably make your turbo surge when accelerating.

Mine was like that and I cured it with:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Magic...MAAOSwZVlXwUcX

It is pretty difficult to get it in but once it is in properly it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    I found out where some of the missing piston ended up when I discovered that the turbo was seized.

Fortunately it cleaned up pretty well with a dremel, and the turbine itself wasn't actually damaged, although I couldn't remove every trace of aluminium coating.

High chance the turbo will be out of balance.

Here are the plugs removed from the replacement engine. One cylinder does not appear to be in perfect condition, but hopefully if I use some engine flush with a couple of quick oil changes it might free up a sticky control ring - I can but hope!

And to depress you further..... That's exactly what my plugs look like after pulling them from a motor with cylinder # 1 chronically misfiring. I'd compression test that unit before going any further - and be prepared to return it to where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by pinger View Post
    High chance the turbo will be out of balance.

And to depress you further..... That's exactly what my plugs look like after pulling them from a motor with cylinder # 1 chronically misfiring. I'd compression test that unit before going any further - and be prepared to return it to where it came from.
    What was the good news again?

If needed I could probably clean up the turbine somewhat better, I didn't remember to take any post clean photos before reassembling, wish I had. And I think I may have a spare turbo on a seriously cracked manifold somewhere anyway.

...before going any further? - Too late for that as all the expense has already been incurred. It isn't misfiring, it seems to run OK ish, but I've only driven it around the car park to check that that the new clutch works and that I can change gear. Runs up to temp ok, no leaks or overheating issues, so the new cheap Airtex pump seems to be working (for now at least).

I may well do a compression test, it was sold with warranty as having being tested. However if it fails it will be much easier for me to do the rings in due course rather than to send it back!

Unfortunately I managed to lose one of the vacuum actuators, so it hasn't been run in a fully assembled state yet - separate thread will be posted about the actuator and vacuum lines.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    if you feel the rest of the car is worth it.
    I think you may have a point.

I'm now replacing front and rear suspension (broken springs and old shocks), and becoming very disillusioned with the amount of corrosion I see everywhere I look. Also the roof motors need replacing, the interior is OK though. Was it worth the spend? Yes if it lasts another six years, otherwise perhaps not.
    Paul

... and becoming very disillusioned with the amount of corrosion I see everywhere I look.
    I know how you feel. My 450 Cabrio required 42 weld repairs due to rust.

Above rusty steel comes from the door sills. One fine day I might frame these pieces and donate to Tate Modern.

Above part is one half of my see through steering knuckle. Just plate steel so easily weld repaired. I reused above part.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Tolsen is there any chance you can post a picture up of the stuff you are using to seal you cars. Have you done any how to documents? You know some of actually trust you. You are a fan of Lidl and ALDI tools so you must know what you are doing