Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch software problems

Angry Clutch software problems

Hi all.

It has been a while since i posted something here. Had my ups and downs recently... So now its time to get some info from you all beautiful members to get my "ups" up.

I don't know if i have actually touched this topic already but if i did then i am still looking for answers.

I have now 3 cars (mine, my moms and my friends) that have this problem and the problem is that the MB star clutch adjustment does not safe the adjustments after the programming.

Okay, so what are the symptoms... Clutch slipping, loads of vibration when pulling out, slow gear changes and takes longer than usual for clutch to bite, also a clutch smell. So first thing is to adjust it manually, that's fine, done that. Then plug in the MB Star, check the reading and its 40, okay its too high. Lets adjust it, done that went from 40 to 29/30. Perfect you might think, yes it is perfect until you switch the ignition off. Turn the ignition back on, read the car and it will go back to 40, then it all repeats itself. Of course after trying everything, new clutch, new clutch actuator, different wiring loom from perfectly running car etc, the problem still there. So, one way to fix it temporary is to disconnect the smaller plug on the ecu and plug it back in and the new adjustment will stay for few days then it goes from 29/30 back to 40...

Right so, i want to know what is actually happening when i am doing that and why it only works for a few days???? Is there a way to fix this permanently???

Please note, my and my friend had a though that because we have modified our cars and tinkered with the cars it might have something to do with this but my mom has a roadster brabus that has never been touched (modified)...

Your input into this will be very much appreciated as it eats our clutches and driving this cars becoming a nightmare...

Nick
    They say that Big car = Small penis.
    Well I've got a Smart car....

These cars were fine before you touched them?

You and your diagnostics kit are the common denominators. I think faulty diagnostics kit or sothing you are not doing right.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Thank you tolsen for your reply. That is the thing tolsen mine and my friends car were fine before and after we started tinkering with them.. However my moms car is untouched and she has the same problem.

The MB i have does the job, its a fact! been programming my gearbox many times and done other things (its a genuine MS Star). There is a problem with the car not the Star...

Do you adjust clutch the recommended way? Apply preload manually and in Star set actuator travel limits and bite point?
    You say Star does not save. Does clutch bite point setting not complete?

By programming gear box do you mean gear change teach?

Before reteach the slippoint of the clutch.
    Recode the gearbox!

The ideal slippoint is between 25 % and 30 %.

Up to 35 % is not a big problem

Teaching gear changes is not necessary for clutch adjustment. Gear changes either work or they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Gear changes either work or they don't.
    I wish that were true on the 451.

Guys thank you for your reply.

I am going to look into this again in near future and will come back to you. Just spend whole day yesterday trying to fix my moms gear motor. Had to take the whole gearbox out and drill out one of the bolts... wont recommend this to anyone...

Nick

Ps: as i said, will look into this problem again, as i might have to readjust my clutch actuator and go step by step with teaching. Will try to note everything down too Worst case, will have to disconnect the ecu and enjoy the car again for few more days

Dear All members of the forum.

After the extensive research and long time car being at the garage i have finally managed to fix the issue with the clutch software. Still the problem is unknown but the solution to the problem is now available. So if anyone does experience the same issue with they clutch being jerky and not smooth when pulling in first gears, then please contact me and i can help.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkimbel View Post
    Dear All members of the forum.

After the extensive research and long time car being at the garage i have finally managed to fix the issue with the clutch software. Still the problem is unknown but the solution to the problem is now available. So if anyone does experience the same issue with they clutch being jerky and not smooth when pulling in first gears, then please contact me and i can help.

Nick
    Why not just post the solution, that is what fora are for.