Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse gear not engaging!

Reverse gear not engaging!

Evening All,
    Just lately I have had problems engaging reverse gear, the problem is intermittent
    and when you put the lever in reverse it just flashes the "N" on the dash.
    Would anyone know if this is an adjustment on the switch or am I looking at large
    expense. There is no paddle change.
    If it's a big job, any recommendations for a Smart expert on the south coast area?

Regards Chris

If this was a 450, I'd say it was probably the brake light switch, which is a common fault.
    But I don't know if this is true of the 451.

Sounds like you need a new brake light switch. (It is actually two switches in the one case) - do your brake lights work? Not a full proof test, but sometimes shows up an issue with the brake light switch.

John

It probably needs the gearbox TCU software update.

451 most likely needs update - visit to main dealer or us in Shepton Mallet, somerset (don't know any other indies with networked diagnostics)

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful replies, I think I will be having a "lil"
    journey very soon and will be in touch shortly.
    regards Chris

It happens to me sometimes. Switch the car off and start it again. Usually ok after that.

Until it's not OK. That's exactly how our loan 451 61hp was, since we updated it no issues. However we've seen a fair few now recovered in, diagnostics suggests it needs a new transmission, ignoring it & running TCU updates has fixed them all!

Clutches are going at about 100,000 miles, actuators are still as flakey as ever but selector motors are better than 450's

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    Until it's not OK.
    I think I'm about there now
    Unfortunately just halfway sorting out a family bereavement then will be in touch, could you send me a pm regarding price please, I don't do cards/cheques.
    Regards Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    451 most likely needs update - visit to main dealer or us in Shepton Mallet, somerset (don't know any other indies with networked diagnostics)
    Hi lil smartie,
    I have tried to PM you but evidently your inbox is full and will not accept any more PMs
    Regards Chris