Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse gear not engaging!

Sorry, locked pm's on most sites as I was given a load of abuse when I didn't see one!

drop us an email sales at smart-sport.co.uk

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    451 most likely needs update - visit to main dealer or us in Shepton Mallet, somerset (don't know any other indies with networked diagnostics)
    It's been a couple of weeks since I visited you in Shepton Mallet and I have to thank you very much for the service you
    both provided and naturally I haven't had a problem since
    Thanks again and highly recommended.
    Regards Chris

Thanks for the update good to know that it's behaving itself again too!

Kate

Exclamation

I had the same issue last night -

Kept trying selecting 1st & R BUT nothing JUST N - Switched off engine & was about to call on a tow truck & thought let me try one last time & luckily manged to select 1st SO quickly drove home hoping it would make it...............

When I put it in R, I could see the reverse light coming on JUST wasnt selecting R OR 1 ???
    Does this sound like the BRAKE SWITCH on its way out ????

OR could it be the Clutch Actuator ????
    I have just ordered some White Lithium Grease for the Clutch Actuator - Is there anything else I should do - Any help/ advice appreciated

What is this Software Update thing about ?
    BTW - I'm new here & to SMART's - NOT A GOOD START

Smart is a 451 BRABUS & Clutch was replaced 5k ago by prev owner SO dont think its that (hope not)

Depending on your location ? I would recommend lil smartie or I'm sure if you contact them they could advise you on an "expert", in your area.

regards Chris

Sounds exactly like one of our loan cars, always worked after switching ignition off/on. It needs the update, main dealer or an indie with networked diagnostics (still not heard of any others though...)

It is reputed to be possible offline though I have never done it and don't actually know anyone that has. Probably just a rumour.

Mine has always had occasional problems selecting reverse.
    Fist time it happened, I thought I was going to have to call a breakdown truck. Most disconcerting. Until I found the foillowing...

If selecting Reverse doesn't work and you just get the flashing N, stick it in 1st then quickly back into Reverse.
    'Quickly' is the key word here. Do it slowly and it doesn't work.
    This always works on mine and I've just got used to doing it. I never select Reverse from Neutral, but stick it into a forward gear first, then slam it into Reverse.
    I just regard it as a bit of an idiosyncracy and can't be bothered to get the software update.